Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16ft shrimp trawl, and I also have access to the Alabama River which is loaded with shad during the summer and fall.

Question is, could I pull a shrimp trawl to fill up with shad, freeze the shad, and use it for bait/chum?

Looks like I need a commercial license, can't find anything about pulling trawls in freshwater.

Good idea? Or foolishness....

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
there is another thread on here about shad. They make great bait and should make great chum as well. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THE LAWS. having said that, back in Okla everyone nets them for bait -- either cast net or a shad net. A shad net looks like an oversized dip net with fine mesh and 3 wires that are about 6 ft long. You attach the wires to a forward cleat and 'cruise the coves' looking for big schools of shad. When you find one you push the net in the water (with someone else operating the boat of course) and scoop them up. My grandpa used to cut them up and freeze them in old milk cartons, butter containers -- whatever and used them to bait trotlines, limblines, Jim poles etc. Fish love 'em but as you know THEY SMELL AWFUL:)

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
My guess is you will trawl once catch a submerged tree and that will be that. Have a razor sharp knife ready to cut the ropes. Believe me there is nothing more exciting than a hung up shrimp trawl. Bad enough in the gulf. In flowing river.....I could not even imagine. MY 2.

·
Registered
263 Posts
We have used small brim for bait. My understanding is that as long as you catch the fresh water fish by hook you can use them as bait although it would be hard to do that with shad. But the small brim work great for bait and chum.

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
Answer is No. The only places you can pull a shrimp net year round are the ones that are designated as live bait areas and none of them are on the Alabama river.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ahhh rats. Bad idea. Hope the weather clears, I'm having fish-drawals!

Reactions: Lyin Too

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
i've tried this with just an 8 ft. throw net. got tons of fresh water shad up here in selma and took them to the gulf. no takers, not even a catfish or a crab in the trap. it's a waste of time. i had the same idea about 10 years ago and thought the same thing but nooooo the salt fish don'f like the fresh water bait.

jack

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well hell, now I gotta try it just to see. I have a cast net, some beer, a freezer, and a quest for shad knowledge. Stay tuned, by August we should know.

·
OutdoorsMan4Life
491 Posts
I tried this a few years ago, I brought a 5 gallon bucket full frozen, caught snapper on them but they are very soft when you thaw them and will come off with the smallest bite, worked awesome as chum

1 - 17 of 17 Posts