Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Shiznik (1/13/2010)Yeah you got a point, it looks like it will go "straight" to the bottom!

Tight Lines!

Chris
Never happen, No motor you will need some ballest to get her to the bottom, That boat most likely has floatation in the hull if you tried to sink it like that it would most likely float at the surface... Then what?:doh

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was posted for humor more than anything else..............I dont thing you can sink that type of material any more...................when I used to live in Navy Point, I saw many boats like this one tied to the dock filled with washing machines and swing set frames....They would be there in the morning when I went to work and be gone on my way home.............I know of one that never made it out of Bayou Grande because the Bow eye ripped out of it and it overturned and sank.:doh......................................"In The old days"

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Years ago I hadan old 17' ski boat that had a rotted transom. I decided to make a fishing reef for crappie. I stripped all of the good stuff off the hull then I pulled the boat down our dirt roads, stopping to pick up any large rocks I could find to help sink the boat. I also shot holes in the hull with my .40 cal S&W to help it sink faster. I'm sure I had at least a ton of rocks in that boat. The trailer springs were almost bottomed out before I launched the boat. I had carefully picked a location where the boat would be deep enough to not be a hazard to navigation.

I launched the boat pulled it to my new fishing hole, anchored it in the proper position, and pulled the plug. I then went to a neighbors pier, opened a cold beer and watched ol yellow sink. It took over 1 hour before the boat finally disappeared into the 15' water. I was celebrating, and drinking another cold adult beverage when that sucker popped back to the surface. It had apparently sank to the bottom and then decided to roll over, dumping the rocks out of the boat so it could resurface. I then had to pull the boat up onto the bank, reload it onto thr trailer, and deliver it to a friendly marina where they had a burn pit where I burned that sucker.

The moral of the story is that boats are hard to sink because of the floatation in the hull. Hmmmm, this is just one of the bad decisions I have made in my life!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
,,,,,,,when that sucker popped back to the surface. It had apparently sank to the bottom and then decided to roll over, dumping the rocks out of the boat so it could resurface. I then had to pull the boat up onto the bank, reload it onto thr trailer, and deliver it to a friendly marina where they had a burn pit where I burned that sucker.

Now that is funny,,,,

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I didn't think that one out very good. Guess I had Davy Jones on the brain. lol! Thats pretty funny about that boat popping back up to the surface! Talking about a "water hazard", at night in a Bay would be pretty dangerous to run over a boat someone might try to make a reef with good intensions out of. Imagine what the rebuild cost would be to restore it!

Chris

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
That was one solid boat. When I shot it with my .40 cal, some of the bullets didn't penetrate completely thru the hull. I even took a sharp pointed pick trying to make more holes and couldn't get thru the hull. I had suspected that there was some floatation inside the hull, but there wasn't really any access to the foam. It's funny now, but not so funny at the time!

Live and learn!

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Buckyt (1/13/2010)That was one solid boat. When I shot it with my .40 cal, some of the bullets didn't penetrate completely thru the hull. I even took a sharp pointed pick trying to make more holes and couldn't get thru the hull. I had suspected that there was some floatation inside the hull, but there wasn't really any access to the foam. It's funny now, but not so funny at the time!

Live and learn!

Chainsaw, it's the only way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts