Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well-the 38' Topaz Flybridge from Connecticut FINALLY arrived last Sunday. I feel like I got a deal on the boat, but the hammering I got in the wallet geting her here has me catching my breath. Captain Dennis Painter took 14 days to get her down the east coast and across the cut to the gulf. Then he wanted off the boat to make it to his next assignement and I was glad to get rid of him. Turned out his mate was his old lady or mistress and the reciepts show them dining and drinking away every night to the tune of $40 to $77 while paying an average of $70 a night to dock the boat. I was told the trip would take 7 to 10 days. I was told they would have tools on board, but this guy paid, oops I paid mechanics in two different ports to tighten the alternator belt. :banghead

I had a local friend of mine go down and get her and she arrived Sunday. Cost twice as much as I had budgeted to get her here. Lesson learned the hardway. Now, I got a million things to do to get her ready for spring. I find myself overwhelmed at times and to be honest, wondering what the heck I was thinking. Remember, I stepped up mainly to keep my wife fishing with me (bad storm experience in the PBGFC Ladies this year). So, what is the first thing she says when she walks up to the boat and sees all the teak that needs work? "Sure isn't very pretty, is she?". Anyone remember the relationship between Andy's girlfriend and his car "CHRISTINE"?:banghead

Anyway, Rachel has been cleaning up the cabin the last few evenings and I've been lining up folks to get things done. Still can't get rid of the nauseous feeling though. Gotta keep telling myself to BREATHE. Maybe a fishing trip will help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. I've always wanted to make that trip. I almost bought a Gilliken Custom that was in Ct this past spring. I just had no time to make the move myself and was not sure how I felt about paying someone to joyride my boat. Moving a boat on its own bottom is definitely the way to go. Good luck with the new toy, James

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hang in there TH, I am sure once you and the family get all the work done on her she will be worth the effort and the money. Just think how sweet she will be out on a rig raisen YFT. Stay in touch and lets go hunting, Jeremy

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
congratulations tom...she's a beauty. my paw-in-law worked on boats of that size/kind in virginia beach. we have moved them down here now so, he may be of some help...guess you'll need to plat a few more s/d's...

good luck,

mikendale

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Glad you got the boat here. where did you slip it at? i look forward to seeing it!

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
It'll all work out. Hey, maybe the whole experience will help you come up with a new name for her.

"BREATHE", sounds like a heck of a name.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Sorry to hear they did you dirty that way, people dont realize how that kind of stuff will come back to them some day. On the other hand, I am glad she is there with ya. That my friend will be a labor of love. Cant wait to see pics.:toast

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm excited for you.Start with the before pictures now! Get the whole family involvedbut don't make it a quest. Well that is until spring is looming and its got to be ready. Sorry about the trip down but its here now , its yours and thats cause for celebration! :letsparty Get those pictures up and we'll celebrate with you. Good luck on the updates and fitting and keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
ok, i have thought about it, what is PSMC?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have no problem helping you out on your teak work. Man that wood can really turn out great. When you get around to it give me a call, I know you could use a hand or two (depending if I have a beer in the other) sanding. Nice ride, it will be worth it!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
David and Knot a yacht got the locationright. For now, I'm going to spend my cabbage on mechanical/maintenance stuff. Teak and cockpit gelcoat work is gonna come after that. Thanks for the offer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts