Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
BBC reporting the same thing.

'Low pressure'

Adm Allen told US media the "top kill" procedure, which began on Wednesday, has pumped enough drilling fluid to block all oil and gas escaping from the well.

"They've been able to stabilise the wellhead, they're pumping mud down it. They've stopped the hydrocarbons from coming up," Adm Allen told WWL First News radio.

It was the first positive official assessment of BP's latest attempt to plug the well, after previous efforts failed.

BP has not yet commented in detail on the situation, saying merely that the operation was continuing.

Adm Allen said there was still pressure from the well, although at very low levels.

Once engineers have reduced the pressure to zero, they will begin pumping cement into the hole to seal the well, he added.

<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_and_canada/10174861.stm">http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_and_canada/10174861.stm</a>

Now...just because oil is not coming out of the riser..and this mud is...is that a good sign? Does it mean they can now put cement down into the well head?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I bought a bag of sacrete one time so I figure I can comment on this......My limited understanding is that once the pressure is eliminated they could then start the cement operation.....I just pray this works.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I just checked the live feed and it looks like oil still flowing out unless that is Barite or Hemalite (mud).........

9:53 am, now the live feed shows nothing coming out.... have our prayers been answered????????????????

4,058 Posts
I hope yall are right. I am seriously finding myself tearing up if this is true. Party is going to start awfully early today if that's the case. This has been a horrible past few weeks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the same thing once I read the article and something was definitely coming out. But according to some stuff I've read that could be the mud.

With all the eyes on this spill cam, I'm pretty sure a new headline would be up if there were any updates (especially bad news).

I continue to pray that this holds until they can cement it.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
<span style="font-size: 5.5pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Seeing that stop on a live feed kinda put a lump in my throat......... The red cloud you were seeing just before it stopped was possibly Hemalite (an iron oxide based mud mix that is almost as red as fresh blood when wet, thus the name). A 30,000 HP pump drive was used and it was pushing 2100 gallons a minute......... Keep your fingers crossed........ The cement they might use could be a Trinity Lite with heavy Calcium Chloride mix........

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
unfortunately appears that they "misreported the situation", Fox news now reporting oil is still spewing...

Mark

<a href="http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/26/bp-says-effort-plug-spill-going-planned/">http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/26/bp-says-effort-plug-spill-going-planned/</a>

<h2>BP's 'Top Kill' Effort Slowing Oil, But Leak Not Fixed Yet</h2><p class="author vcard"><span class=fn></p><p class="published updated dtstamp">Published May 27, 2010<span class=value-title title=2010-05-1T11:02Z></p><p class="source-org vcard"><span class=fn>AP</p>COVINGTON, Louisiana -- The Coast Guard says BP is having some success slowing the Gulf of Mexico oil leak by injecting mud but the fix isn't done yet.Coast Guard Lt. Commander Tony Russell said Thursday reports that Admiral Thad Allen, who is overseeing the operation, had called the procedure a success were incorrect. He said Allen said that the flow of mud was stopping some of the oil and gas but had a ways to go before it proved successful.

BP spokesman Tom Mueller said the effort that started Wednesday to plug the blown-out well with mud, called a top kill, was continuing.

Mueller said BP PLC doesn't anticipate being able to say anything definitive on its success until later Thursday.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
that looks more like the mud coming out than oil, at least to me. I could be wrong but I sure am hoping it's mud.......

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
1:08 pm our time the ROV operator took a wrench and put it in the flow for a minute. When he pulled it out there was a build up of mud on the wrench. I saw no signs of oil on the wrench..... This is a really good thing....... Keep in mind that this well was pushing out about 6800 pounds of pressure. The topside mud unit is combatting this withweightedproduct at about 2100 gallons a minute.Quite a battle raging down there and interesting as hell to be watching it live.........

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
brnbser (27/05/2010)that looks more like the mud coming out than oil, at least to me. I could be wrong but I sure am hoping it's mud.......
I didn't say what was flowing....I can only hope it is mud....but some other post said there were only air bubbles .....like it had stop completely....with no flow at all(mud or oil)....that's what I would like to see:crying

I hate watching the news....seeing all the oil clean up thats going to need to be done....the marshes and beaches having oil in and on them.....I only get a glimpse up here on the devastation you all are so close to and some are in....I feel for you all

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
<span style="font-size: 5.5pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">The mud is being pumped at huge volume so some mud is escaping out of the top where the oil was flowing. The volume of upside pressure is so great that it is forcing it's way down against the pressure of the oil, but still leaking from the top (the mud). I believe after seeing that recent ROV test that this is the case. When they start pumping the cement in, the color of the plume coming out in the video will change color eventually to a light gray. The only time that this plume will stop is when the cement starts setting up in the hole, and the topside pumps start pulling back on the pumppressure until it comes to a complete stop....... This is WAY over my head now, and such a delicate balancing act, our prayers should be for guidance of the operators. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 5.5pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">This morning when it came to a complete stop, I almost thought that they went ahead and test cemented the hole to see if it would hold, but they started pumping the mud again. This told me that the cement attempt was not holding. It's just a theory but I'm sure we will hear about what exactly happened soon.......<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
709 Posts
From what i understand and have been told and read on BP's website. The mud is being put upstream in the high pressure area ( aka the top of the BOP chamber) as well as being pumped below the nipple in the BOP were the pressure is less before it is necked down toward teh top of the BOP. To properly do this procedure the mud will flow out the top all the while they are pumping the hell out of it below the main pressure stream to force the oil back down the well. The weight of the mud , pressure of the mud flow and gravity will force the oil back down into the reservoir. Once they have the MUD flowing the oil back down the well to the bottom they can shoot the cement in to seal the well off. I would expect to see the MUD flow out the top till they have pushed the oil back down. Then i would expect to see the well cease altogether once they pump the cement in .

Let pray this is all working and gets this thing shut down for good in the next 24-48 hours.

<a href="http://www.bp.com/bodycopyarticle.do?categoryId=1&contentId=7052055">http://www.bp.com/bodycopyarticle.do?categoryId=1&contentId=7052055</a>link to info on BP's site.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts