Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im 35 and from the south. i just shot my first deer yesterday. what a shame. i would enjoy hunting 2 or 3 times a year but never understood why people spent hours, day after day sitting still in the woods. well, now i know. im hooked. my buddy says i dont need a 4 wheel drive with all the bells and whistles. he said a 250 2 wheel drivewill do just fine. im getting some advice from you guys. how much should a good used 4wheeler cost and if you agree with just a basic set up. thanks, jeremy

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,548 Posts
4wd is nice if that's what you use to plant food plots with or you get into some serious trail riding. Otherwise save the $ and get a 2wd 350 or something in that ball range. As long as it's lite enough for you to man handle a little you will be fine.I had a88 185bayou anda I just sold my01325Polaris 2wd. Got both of them stuck once each. 4wd wouldn't have matter since I bottomed out. What did matter is me being able to lift them up and put the back and front tires on top of the ruts by myself. A 650 is nice but when its stuck...its stuck. Unless you got a winch, you can go get the truck and a chain. Just got to be smart about it... Saying that...those 650's are awesome to ride! Like a crotch rocket with 4 wheels.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I concurr with GrassFlats. I have a Honda 250(06) and 350(05), both are two wheel drive. If you really find the thick stuff, go around it. I have a winch and have used it one time to pull myself out. The 250 you can pretty much meet most needs. Another factor is how often you use them; the folks that have land and/or can use them hunting all the time probably warrant spending more bucks. Regarding price, a got my two atvs and a practically brand new single axle trailer for 5K back in 2007.

GrassFlats... Super funny shirt and I really enjoy seeing the 'Bamaflare on their graduates that must be shopping wisely at Walmart( : WarEagle! Class of 2000.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i bought a 425 liquid cooled polaris 2wd and it has pretty much gone anywhere i have needed it to go so far!!! for 900 on craigslist motorcycle section, now i got a deal on it they have been in the 1500 to 2000 range and my friend robbie got a suzuki 300 4wd for 700 he got a hell of a deal craigslist again,. just keep your eyes open daily on craigslist and you will run up on a deal every now and then. it took me 2 1/2 months before i bought so if you can have the patience you can have the ride.good luck in your search and pm me if you need help knowin how to look it up and what to look for on that site my first 4wheeler cost me 400 250 2wd and was good for mosquito control smoked bad but still got deer out another craigslist. as for 2wd just put a comealong on the rack and that should suffice for when you need it

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a 2 wheel drive and it will definatley get the job done but when it comes to going over logs and stuff the 4 wheel is a big advantage.

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
My advice...don't buy one...right now. After deer season is fishing season and people seem to unload quads so they can buy a bass boat on a whim. The best deals will be found in a few months. Just be patient and realize there is always another deal out there. JMO

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
jspooney (1/19/2010)My advice...don't buy one...right now. After deer season is fishing season and people seem to unload quads so they can buy a bass boat on a whim. The best deals will be found in a few months. Just be patient and realize there is always another deal out there. JMO
+1 Good advice! I'm looking to buy one too but figure I'll wait until after the Alabama and Florida deer seasons end, that should be just about the time I get my tax refund too!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well when yall get ready to buy one let me know. I have a 2006 Yamaha Bruin 350 with on-command four wheel drive and a 2500lbs Warn Winch forsale. Its in MINT condition and has about 25 hours of riding time on it. $2800 OBO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts