Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing that I need to go to Fort Pickens and fish from the pier. Is the fishing there really that good? If so, what is the best time of day to go.....early when the park opens? Do you have any suggestions on bait? Free line or bottom fishing?

·
Registered
905 Posts
the waters still dirty now but it is a great fishing spot. take a couple rods and a bait net with you. if you want to buy bait then get fresh dead or live shrimp. you can catch reds, spanish, flounder, etc etc. if the ly's have shown up catch them with a bait net. the gates open at 7 unless you have a night owl pass you can get in earlier. you can catch fish anytime of the day out there it just depends if they are biting or not.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ft pickens is awesome fishing from around the corner from the pass and fish in the bay or the gulf and the pass is always a good spot to hit. i have not fished on the pier it is always packed so do alot of surf fishing out there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
fishing is good

there is a large variety of fish being caught there at Pickens. Spanish, Sharks, Pampano, Trout, Flounder, and even red snapper and grouper(not in season yet!)
we had a get Sheepshead season this year and we are even catching a bunch of spade fish too. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
please help me catch a fish

I have family that lives in Pensacola, I am coming there the last week in may,staying at fort pickens, fishing off a bridge, I have two ambsssadeur 6500 C are these ok, what lbs test should I use, what size hook, and weight, someone please help, also a good charter boat thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fhelp, the ambassadors will be fine. I use around 30 lb braided line with 15 to 20 lb flouro or mono leaders. Do not overdo the hooks. 1/0or 2/0 circle hooks are pretty standard. Just make sure to wash the reels with fresh water after each use and spray with wd40 or a similar product. At pickens you should be able to surf fish on either side and be successful in may (or fish off the pier, the pier is not big so you nay not always be able to get on it. Where are you coming here from?

·
LUVDABRIDGE
9 Posts
I visited Fort Pickens years ago and toured the fort but I have never fished there.
Do you need a license to fish at Fort Pickens if you are a non resident of Florida?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I visited Fort Pickens years ago and toured the fort but I have never fished there.
Do you need a license to fish at Fort Pickens if you are a non resident of Florida?
As a non resident you need a license to fish at all, anywhere. Unless you are on a charter vessel, I believe their license covers you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been hearing that I need to go to Fort Pickens and fish from the pier. Is the fishing there really that good? If so, what is the best time of day to go.....early when the park opens? Do you have any suggestions on bait? Free line or bottom fishing?
Where is the best place to go fish for whiting at Pickens

1 - 16 of 16 Posts