Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone have any contacts in the area or know any good guides for $700ish? We will be down September 13 and looking to go out. First time in that area. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
It’s about a 30 mile trip down to Miami (Coconut Grove), but absolutely well worth it to fish with Ray Rosher. One the greatest captains ever, and an excellent teacher. You won’t just catch fish, you’ll learn a ton. I think they run 3 boats now, and prices vary between the vessels. But check out Miss Britt Charters in Miami. Ray is a good friend and outstanding guy to deal with.
www.missbritt.com

·
Registered
167 Posts
missbritt is good. I would drive a little further to go with Brian Cone. Isle of Marada. Check him out. I think they have better fishing there based on my experience. Also depending on time of year. Sept may be good.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just logging back in for the first time and thought I'd give an update.

Trip was pretty much a disappointment. Called and booked with Ray off the recommendation of this forum. When we showed up, we actually went out with two young kids running a boat for Ray. My fault for not communicating with Ray more, but I am not a fan of booking with a particular captain thinking that's who you're fishing with, and then being sent out with someone else.
Also, I wanted a 6 hour trip and after 4 hours the young captain started heading in. There was some confusion between he and Ray I guess. When I brought it up he offered to stay out but mentioned that had he known that we could have made a run in the morning to a further (better) spot.... We elected to just go in. All we were catching was dink yellowtail snappers.
Made two FAST drifts over a wreck right at the end and didn't catch anything. When I say fast, I mean 6-8 oz weight to keep the line straight down, and within a minute reeling up because the current had us way passed the structure.

I'm sure Ray is a great Captain. I am an experienced fisherman and have taken multiple guided trips in Texas and Florida. Just felt like I was treated like a tourist on this trip. You know, the ones that don't know any better and they can give them a boat ride, catch a few small fish, and call it a day.

It was my current wife's first time off shore. (second was a few month's later in Roatan, which was also a pretty crappy fishing trip btw haha. But at least that one was cheap and I knew the fishing wasn't supposed to be good there. Hand cranking an old Penn 800' from 800' deep sucks so bad).

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Great that you gave an update. Sorry the trip was not what you expected. I don't know anything about that area, but I just wanted to say thanks for thinking to come give the update.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Just logging back in for the first time and thought I'd give an update.

Trip was pretty much a disappointment. Called and booked with Ray off the recommendation of this forum. When we showed up, we actually went out with two young kids running a boat for Ray. My fault for not communicating with Ray more, but I am not a fan of booking with a particular captain thinking that's who you're fishing with, and then being sent out with someone else.
Also, I wanted a 6 hour trip and after 4 hours the young captain started heading in. There was some confusion between he and Ray I guess. When I brought it up he offered to stay out but mentioned that had he known that we could have made a run in the morning to a further (better) spot.... We elected to just go in. All we were catching was dink yellowtail snappers.
Made two FAST drifts over a wreck right at the end and didn't catch anything. When I say fast, I mean 6-8 oz weight to keep the line straight down, and within a minute reeling up because the current had us way passed the structure.

I'm sure Ray is a great Captain. I am an experienced fisherman and have taken multiple guided trips in Texas and Florida. Just felt like I was treated like a tourist on this trip. You know, the ones that don't know any better and they can give them a boat ride, catch a few small fish, and call it a day.

It was my current wife's first time off shore. (second was a few month's later in Roatan, which was also a pretty crappy fishing trip btw haha. But at least that one was cheap and I knew the fishing wasn't supposed to be good there. Hand cranking an old Penn 800' from 800' deep sucks so bad).
Out of curiosity, what were you expecting to do? I dont mean that flippantly, I am asking honestly. I am not terribly familiar with their fishery but I have fished down there a few times. I would have assumed if I was planning to bottom fish in that area this time of the year it would be for yellowtails and maybe make a drop or two for Muttons.
Other than a winter time sailfish bite, bird hunting for dolphin and BFT's, or daytiming for swords, i do not know what else occurs down there especially on a 4 or 6 hour trip offshore.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was expecting a good time with the recommended captain who I spoke with and thought I was going out with. I knew we were going YT fishing mostly. It was just a slow bite and they were small. When I found out we could have made a longer run to a better place, if he knew it was a 6 hour trip, that didn’t help.
That’s all. Just the way I felt after that particular trip.
If I had brought my boat I could have done the same thing. I like to feel like I’m learning something or experiencing something different when I use a guide.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts