Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about the club in Forest Home? It's just North of Greenville. They advertise in Craigslist. Sounds good but seems like they are looking for members every year.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't have any real info on the club but i used to lease some land in Forrest home and it's definitely a great area

·
Registered
521 Posts
I contacted them via CraigsList, will let you know what I find out. I am betting the $2500 annual dues gets most of their turn over.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
i go through that area from selma going down 263 to greenville on my way to pensacola.
the deer are plentiful in there. i usually come close to hitting one every time i go down that way. even had one running across the road to hit the back of my car. $2k-3k is worth it.

jack

·
Registered
521 Posts
This is what I got back from them via email:
1-18 members on 3000ac (4 that only Turkey hunt)2-Camper spots and 3 camp houses on a lake full of Bass.
3-6pt or better for 16 years

4-2 doe per member
5-skinning shed with running water and ice machine

·
Super Moderator
29,893 Posts
This is what I got back from them via email:
1-18 members on 3000ac (4 that only Turkey hunt)2-Camper spots and 3 camp houses on a lake full of Bass.
3-6pt or better for 16 years

4-2 doe per member
5-skinning shed with running water and ice machine
Everything sounds great except the 2 doe per limit....I see that alot which has turned me off of a lot of clubs. Not to mention you have to specifically ask them do your guests or family deer count towards the 2 and the usual answer is yes. So that is a no go....Even at 2 doe and if you are lucky enough to harvest your 3, that's 5 deer fer 2500.....

Reactions: TatSoul and Payatot

·
Registered
521 Posts
I kind of agree on the 2 does per member rule and think some clubs understand QDMA better than others. If every member in a club would take the two does allowed, then it could be considered some sort of management. In my experience, using the 2 does per member does not help manage the doe population because half or more of the members will not shoot a doe.
Everything I have read and experienced over the years about QDMA and other management programs calls for "herd" management to include does.
One club I was a member of used a doe maximum per plot and as the number was reached for a plot, no more does could be taken from that plot. I liked this better than limiting a member to two does when another member was never going to kill a doe.

Everything sounds great except the 2 doe per limit....I see that alot which has turned me off of a lot of clubs. Not to mention you have to specifically ask them do your guests or family deer count towards the 2 and the usual answer is yes. So that is a no go....Even at 2 doe and if you are lucky enough to harvest your 3, that's 5 deer fer 2500.....

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have more info on this club if anyone is interested. I'd rather not post it here, but I can PM it to anyone interested. It is not a good fit for me.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have grown to strongly reject the QDM principals, especially the killing of does. In my opinion the doe slaughter we've seen in Alabama the last 10-15 years has hurt the hunting in south Alabama. Florida's hunting is improving every year I belie because of limited doe killing as south Alabama's hunting declines because of over harvest.

When you shoot a buck you eliminate just that buck since one buck can breed many does a year.

When you shoot a 1-2 year old doe you eliminate a couple more does and a couple bucks from the herd over the next 4-5 years. When you compound that over the same time period with the lost production of the the missing couple does you in a way killed 8-10 deer with one gunshot, half of them bucks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have never liked the doe limit per member because some members just will not shoot a doe. That said, way too many hunters do not know the difference in a yearling doe and a mature doe. The limit by hunter does not address the current population vs available food sources to the herd. Herd management can only (in my opinion) be done based on current year population estimates, not last years or previous years.
We did this in Arkansas on ~1800 acres by conducting a two week night count with the biologist. They have some sort of formula they use based on the numbers they count every night for two weeks to determine a good estimate of the herd numbers. Then they calculate the herd numbers based on the available food sources on your lease and give you a number of deer recommended to be harvested for the health of the herd. They even figure in natural and predator mortality rates. Buck mortality rates are twice that of Does because their travel range is greater crossing more roads and exposing them to more predators (according to the state biologist).
We established rules to encourage doe harvest to reach the numbers recommended. One rule was members had to kill a doe before each buck allowed by state rules. Within 3 years, we were killing 160+ class bucks on this 1800 acres and they are still killing them according to hunting buddies still there.
For those not wanting the does for themselves, we worked with Arkansas Feed the Hungry and the harvested deer were donated.
This type of management only works if your property is surrounded by clubs/leases with similar rules. If everyone around you is brown&down (state rules AL), nothing you do will really matter.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Just my opinion, but 18 members is a lot. I know there are a lot of big clubs around here, but when you have that many guys and have a good turnover you are bound to have some jack wagons. All it takes is one or two jackwagons and your season can really be upset.

Personally I'd prefer to hunt 500-1000 acres with 4-8 guys.

Again this is personal, a hunting lease can be a lot more than just hunting. But for $2500 you could go on a lot of decent 5-7 day whitetail hunts in kentucky, Indiana, wyoming, and other non prime states. Easily do an Illinois or Ohio 5 day archery hunt for that also. Have a lot better chance of killing a bruiser on those than an entire season in Alabama. Then you can hunt public land close to home the rest of the time. Again, that is just me.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They already closed the craigslist ad. LOL I'm with Baldona523.........a few good guys is the way to go on as much acreage as you can afford.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Its really a stupid rule when you have alot of guys that wont kill any does.You end up with a lease full of does and the rut will suck cause all the does are getting chased in the woods and off the plots.They should just set a cut off day and be done with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone know anything about the club in Forest Home? It's just North of Greenville. They advertise in Craigslist. Sounds good but seems like they are looking for members every year.
I was a member last year. Property is amongst the prettiest I've ever hunted. Wish I could stay. They are looking for members who will pay $2500 a year but would rather you not hunt. It's the extreme example of a club that the organizers and their families and friends can hunt as much as they want....but when they have to go to work, it REALLY bothers them that you are hunting and might shoot something.
The RULES do not apply to the family and are changed at any time to suit them. They say it is about the pressure....but is NOT. They stalk hunt, walking through the woods for hours and complain about others putting on pressure.
Signed,
Still looking for a deer club

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gentleman's Club

The club in Forest Home in question is The Gentleman's Club. Beautiful property! They are looking for folks who pay the dues but don't hunt much. Over half their members will leave this year. It has been this way for years they say. ONE SET OF RULES FOR the lease holder and family and another set of rules for you. Several people were asked to not rejoin because they took their vacation during the rut and hunted when the family had to return to work.

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,577 Posts
I have grown to strongly reject the QDM principals, especially the killing of does. In my opinion the doe slaughter we've seen in Alabama the last 10-15 years has hurt the hunting in south Alabama. Florida's hunting is improving every year I belie because of limited doe killing as south Alabama's hunting declines because of over harvest.

When you shoot a buck you eliminate just that buck since one buck can breed many does a year.

When you shoot a 1-2 year old doe you eliminate a couple more does and a couple bucks from the herd over the next 4-5 years. When you compound that over the same time period with the lost production of the the missing couple does you in a way killed 8-10 deer with one gunshot, half of them bucks!
Best post I've read in I don't know how long. We use to see deer every sit prior to year long doe days...does and bucks. Now its hit or miss if we are going to see deer or not, much less a buck. I kill about the same amout if mature bucks as I did before, but seems like it gets harder and harder to find them every year. I wish they would go back to limited doe days. The hunting was much better imo...especially for a bow hunter like myself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts