Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yeah, I'll admit I'm a wuss and would've cut the line after getting a couple pics and maybe a video. Definitely not going to let it drag me 20km or even attempt to get something that big close to the kayak.

The article says it took him 20km (12.427mi) in 2 hours, that's an avg speed of 6mph (4mph if you assume it was closer to 3 hours). That's pretty intense! The shark is hauling probably 200-300lbs (depending on the guy's weight) across the water for hours like it's no big deal. Curious what gear/terminal tackle he was using, because it doesn't look like he's using a rod/reel for anything remotely that big but it held up pretty well.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,902 Posts
Curious what gear/terminal tackle he was using, because it doesn't look like he's using a rod/reel for anything remotely that big but it held up pretty well.
He's using a 25k Gosa on an Ugly Stik Tiger Lite if you watch the video.

Pretty sick, I would have cut the line before letting myself get dragged that far. That's crazy!

·
Registered
386 Posts
He's using a 25k Gosa on an Ugly Stik Tiger Lite if you watch the video.

Pretty sick, I would have cut the line before letting myself get dragged that far. That's crazy!
Haha! I watched part of it, but I know diddly about rods/reels besides the few I have, let alone being able to tell them on sight. I had to Google what a Gosa 25k was and whether it was for sharks.:whistling: And after seeing the price I know why I'm not familiar with it. I didn't think shark guys would use spinning gear.

Mostly what surprised me was checking where Boynton Beach was and what the water temps for that area this time of year (trying to determine what he might've been intending to catch), and holy crap I see why he's out nearshore with such heavy gear when the water is still 78 on the surface.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts