Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Amen. In my previous thread I had a guy come walking in on me with no orange. I grabbed my gun cause of the noise but never shouldered it because I couldn't identify the target through the thicket. When I did it was some idiot walking around with no orange.

·
SaltWaterDave
1,852 Posts
PLUS, it's a lot less movement to use binos. Much more stealthy to use binos rather than swinging that rifle and scope around. Probably one of the best pieces of advice I remember from Hunters safety course (Colorado '95)

·
Super Moderator
20,019 Posts
After buying a pair of Meoptas some years back I refuse to go in the woods without them now. I'll forget my rifle before I forget my binos.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
someone point a gun at ya?
No I read another story where some jackass was looking at a game warden thru his scope and he didn't understand what the big deal was. It has happened to me once that I'm aware of. Was not happy about it and decided I would never hunt around him again.

I agree with split tine, my binos are more important to me than any other hunting tool.

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
Oh, ive never scoped a person. Everything I have scoped without binos had four legs easily seen by my eyes without a scope. But I hunt over fields mostly. You woods guys have to deal with all the local wackos.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This.

Please all hunters get a decent pair of binos.

Nothing I hate more than spikes dropping at a management lease bc someone thought it was a doe through their scope. Happens multiple times each year.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I hate binos. I cant see crap through them. But I have been looking at getting a good monocular. It's just not important enough for me to spend any real money on it...
I've hunted for 35 years without any binos. Never had much use for them.

I've never scoped anything with my rifle that I didn't already know what it was. And was likely to take a shot at it...

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would have probably killed a handful more deer if I had a good pair of binos. I can think of at least two bucks in the 115-130" range that I would have shot at if a pair of binos would have been hanging from my neck. The bino harnesses are a must though.

·
Registered
14,772 Posts
I hate binos. I cant see crap through them. But I have been looking at getting a good monocular. It's just not important enough for me to spend any real money on it... I've hunted for 35 years without any binos. Never had much use for them. I've never scoped anything with my rifle that I didn't already know what it was. And was likely to take a shot at it...
Hmmmmm. I understand being old and set in my ways but I highly recommend you give bino's another try!

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I believe he said monocular because his eyes wont focus the same. One near, one far probably, it's fairly common.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Hmmmmm. I understand being old and set in my ways but I highly recommend you give bino's another try!
Not being a smartass, but how many dozens of times do I have to try them? ;)

I can see fine out of one side or the other , but if using both sides, it gets all screwy... And they give me an instant headache. And yes I have adjusted the width to fit my eyes and focused the one side.. They just dont work for me... Thus the reason I would like a monocular. But it's just not a priority for me cause you cant see further than about 80-100 yards on my land anyway. It's about 150yard from ridge to ridge top. And you cant see that far because of the treetops in the creek bottoms... I can see just fine that far.

I have a pair that I used carry with me every once in a while and I never end up using them. So I stopped carrying them. It just saved that much weight that I had to carry up and down all of those ridges...

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I agree with the intent of the original poster. You should never use your rifle scope to view an unknown target.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts