Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever dealt with foot drop?

In February I had a bad dirt bike crash breaking my femur, shattering my pelvis in several places and internal injuries. I’ve been gaining a lot of strength with pt working to get out of the wheel chair. I also have foot drop in both feet and I was just curious if anyone has had it and how long it took to go away. Or what anyone has done to recover from it.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
My buddy crashed my dirt bike into his own parked car one night. Busted lung and practically the same leg injuries you stated as well as others. I got him a mobility scooter and after about a year he was on the mend. Stay positive you’ll get through it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My buddy crashed my dirt bike into his own parked car one night. Busted lung and practically the same leg injuries you stated as well as others. I got him a mobility scooter and after about a year he was on the mend. Stay positive you’ll get through it.
I appreciate it. They’re definitely dangerous, it’s a shame they are so damn fun.

·
Bearded Brotula
15,717 Posts
Always heard it called drop foot, but there are braces for it.

Reactions: Yellow River Cat

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes there are brace’s similar to one you would wear for ankle injuries. You wear them while sitting to help train your muscles.
Yeah I’m currently wearing braces that help. Just curious of anyone else’s experience with recovery from it. Doctors say it’s a waiting game on my nerves and Google doesn’t offer much other than it can take a year or never recover.

·
***Creepy A$$ Cracker***
4,715 Posts
They make medical shoes specifically for “drop foot” my father in law suffers from it.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Has anyone ever dealt with foot drop?

In February I had a bad dirt bike crash breaking my femur, shattering my pelvis in several places and internal injuries. I’ve been gaining a lot of strength with pt working to get out of the wheel chair. I also have foot drop in both feet and I was just curious if anyone has had it and how long it took to go away. Or what anyone has done to recover from it.
Been there man crashed a side by side in 2010 running about 65 down a dirt road busted up the left side of my hip cracked 3 ribs on the left front side broke 6 on the right side close to my spine. I sort of know the feeling. left leg/hip still gives me trouble. That first year left foot was a little floppy. I just made myself use it and work it. It got better but now Arthur visits my daily. And I have a Nike swish across my for head lol. Hate it for you cuzz. hope it works out for you!!!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been there man crashed a side by side in 2010 running about 65 down a dirt road busted up the left side of my hip cracked 3 ribs on the left front side broke 6 on the right side close to my spine. I sort of know the feeling. left leg/hip still gives me trouble. That first year left foot was a little floppy. I just made myself use it and work it. It got better but now Arthur visits my daily. And I have a Nike swish across my for head lol. Hate it for you cuzz. hope it works out for you!!!!
Man that sounds rough! Had to be a long recovery road for you as well. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Unusual to have it on both sides. Can take up to a year to recover. Typically, what you have at a year is how you will be. Since your about 3 months out, maybe ask your doctor about ordering emg nerve tests to define where in the nerves course it’s damaged

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had drop foot in my left foot due to nerve damage caused by a ruptured disc. It took me probably three years to get the feeling back in my toes and get the strength back. And it’s still not as strong as my right foot. I would do some strength and range of motion exercises daily, even it that just means just trying to lift your toes a bit. I didn’t do enough physical therapy and it took forever to heal.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to hear that. Unusual to have it on both sides. Can take up to a year to recover. Typically, what you have at a year is how you will be. Since your about 3 months out, maybe ask your doctor about ordering emg nerve tests to define where in the nerves course it’s damaged
Thanks for the insight. I have actually already had 2 emg tests. But haven’t gotten the results from either. I believe that I get the results from one doctor this week and the other in the following week.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had drop foot in my left foot due to nerve damage caused by a ruptured disc. It took me probably three years to get the feeling back in my toes and get the strength back. And it’s still not as strong as my right foot. I would do some strength and range of motion exercises daily, even it that just means just trying to lift your toes a bit. I didn’t do enough physical therapy and it took forever to heal.
Sorry you have to deal with this too. Luckily I have feeling in most of my feet (top of the foot is mostly numb on both feet) and I can push my toes and feet down. Just no motion upwards.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Sorry you have to deal with this too. Luckily I have feeling in most of my feet (top of the foot is mostly numb on both feet) and I can push my toes and feet down. Just no motion upwards.
On mine I would pull it up with the end of my crutch and try to hold it there that seem to work better than trying to move it on its own.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts