Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had one day with a borrowed tractor, so we dida 16hr stint at the lease Saturday trying to get in some food plots. Here is one of three that we planted. We cleared several more areas...the last by headlights on the tractor....long day.

:hotsun

Oh yeah, here is a big Florida bear!!! Not sure how I am going to keep him from messing up my feeders! :doh

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
That is a pretty good sized bear!! You also have some good looking top soil for your food plots, those things are gonna be lush!

·
Registered
546 Posts
GOOD GOSH, how big is that bear? There is a bear on the property we lease, but I have not seen it. After seeing this post, I don't want to come up one like that. Hard to judge size, but that booger looks pretty big to me!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well, there is tore up feeder #1 of probably as many as you put out... And that's not just some little ol' cute black bear, that sucker is BIG...

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I took my old wintch from my boat trailor and bolted it to a peice of 2*6 1 foot long then found a very high thick branch tieda pully toa ropethen connected my feeder to the rope with the pully. At the othe end I connected my wintch to the rope which I mounted to a tree 10 yards away. Now I can wintch the sob about 25' in the air with nothing even close to where the bear can tear it down. If you want I will post pictures tomorrow for you to see how it works. I hate bears! They cant even digest the corn they just tear up your crap the puck up purple stuff20 yards away then come back to tear up more.

·
Registered
351 Posts
ON OUR LEASE WE MIX SOY BEANS WITH CORN AND THE BEARS WONT MESS WITH IT. WE HAVE 1200 ACRES AND ALEAST 12 DIFFRENT BEARS WE HAVE ON CAMERA.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my picture, the white stuff on the ground is the soybeans that were mixed with the corn. He was sitting on them and picking out the corn.

I use two long galvanized bolts and pinch the tree with two 6' 2x4s as an outrigger to hang my feeders.Unfortunately, this one was not placed high enough and it sagged, so he could reach it. I have a remedy engineered and once I get it mounted to the tree, I will post pictures.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If they ever open the season on them, he will be my rug!! But until then, I guess I just gotta outsmart him.

Lotta folks around here (Panama City)switch exclusively to food plots for deer, but I am going to keep working at a way to keep a feeder in some of my areas.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Are you in the Westervelt land near Panama City Beach? I was going to get a lease there until I saw how many bears they have. I don't like those things. They do have over 100,000 acres that managed 6 point or better with no dog hunting for$5 perso it kind of was a hard decision.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My lease is 1200 acres and is 15 minutesSouth of Wewahitchka. We pay ~$1 per acreb/c it was vacant last season andSt Joe wanted to get someone in there to make a little money. They are pushing up to $2 per acre on all their leases, so we will be doubling in the coming years. Until then, it's cheap hunting with lots of acreage per member b/c we only have 4 hunters. We are very fortunate b/cthe trend is $5and $6 per acre for the land closer to PC and PCB.

·
Registered
903 Posts
That bear looks hugh for Fl. .Idid not know they got that big here . I have found what looked like where a bear scraped the bark of tree really high up and claw marks. That would tend to make me a little nervous especlly when you can't harvest them.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update:

Food Plots are working!!! Notice the deer right under the stand. Disregard the date as the cam is not advancing the time/date for some strange reason.

Grow them horns out:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts