Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size tractor would you guys recommend for doing several food plots.
looking at the Kubota l3901. I really want that MX6000 but it’s about 17k more.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I’ve done a lot of food plots with my 1998 New Holland 1720. It’s a 28 hp compact and I use a 6’ set of disc and a 5’ bush hog plus it hasn’t had a problem with 300-400 lb.s of seed in a spreader

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
736 Posts
Depends on how many acres worth of plots you are talking about and what the ground is like, what kind of implements do you already have on hand, etc. But yes, can't really go wrong with bigger. Isn't there a 55hp that would be in between those models?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depends on how many acres worth of plots you are talking about and what the ground is like, what kind of implements do you already have on hand, etc. But yes, can't really go wrong with bigger. Isn't there a 55hp that would be in between those models?
The 5400 is only a couple grand cheaper

·
Registered
558 Posts
As said above, depends on size plots your doing. Most of my plots are between pine rows. 150 yds long x 10/12 feet wide. I use a 22 hp compact gear. I use a 3pt tiller for busting up the ground. That small tractor is great for turning around between pine trees.

·
Super Moderator
29,449 Posts
The bigger you go the quicker you'll finish fer sure, BUT if you go with a more compact tractor it's easier to maneuver around trees and obstructions and easier to cut trails. I have a 33 hp tractor and would like to go up to a 40 plus but my tractor is alright tight in my woods......

Reactions: Chadddd
1 - 16 of 16 Posts