Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been planting a wheat, rye, oats mix for several years now and have been getting some decent plots to grow for me. However this year on my biggest plot I want to add something different to the mix, I'm thinking clover or at least some type of leafy green. My soil is good but sandy...any suggestions on what to plant, brand, etc...?

·
Praedator
10,131 Posts
When I was a part of a club, we would put out a good bit of turnips and the deer would eat the tops off like crazy. And then towards the end of the season, we would have nice tasty turnips to eat/cook too.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Crimson clover is the only one you are Guna get to grow good on the sandy
Soil we have around here. Of stick with what you have . I've tryed it all in our sandy soil and it is limed properly and anything you plant will come up it just won't grow good. I have good luck with rape in the few plots that I have less sandy soil, just stay away from all those fancy mixes and mix your own. Try some abruzzi rye in the mix it will do good. It is a cereall grain rye nOt a anual rye grass.

·
Banned
3,081 Posts
jcos, go to the local feed store close to your lease and they will tell you what grows in your area and probably mix for you those seeds so you can have the best results.

·
Registered
676 Posts
When I was a part of a club, we would put out a good bit of turnips and the deer would eat the tops off like crazy. And then towards the end of the season, we would have nice tasty turnips to eat/cook too.
We did turnips last year and had really good success!

·
Registered
687 Posts
ask Ron, can u help? Ron Has a Feed & seed store in Brewton & will deliver, cheapest I have found with top grade seed guarenteed , I have use him for about 6 years... Ron Call me if u see this , ur ph # has changed..:whistling: I need some seed & fertilizer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts