Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Fishing For the Birds

I'm guessing a pelican will get you into the backing......
One will get you into your backing, then wreck your rod.

You have to subdue it, then put a piece of cloth(bag?) over it's head in order to remove a plug from its bill.

Speaking from experience! C2

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also follow this tip for a good catch of fishing and it is really effective. I love to learn more about this and have a good catch of fish accordingly.

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice Pelican Paymaster,
I had a pelican take a shrimp before it hit the water on a windy day at the pier off Daytona. He emptied the spool so fast it wasn't funny. Hopefully someone rescued it.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Bird Fishing

I guess that you guys/gals haven't heard of the old Popcorn Trick? :D C2

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thanks C2 , I never thought about tying a popcorn fly for gulls and pelicans !
Good idea. They should put up one heckuva fight on light tackle. :whistling:

What I was referring to is categorized among Sneaky and Devious tricks(tips?)

Remember that Old Age and Treachery will overcome Youth and Inexperience. ;)

What you do is to find a school of fish. You can be sure that the Potlickers will assemble to help you clean out the school when they see that you're catching fish.

Here's where the Popcorn Trick comes into play:

Take a bag of popped corn with you. After you've located the fish, go about one-half mile away and distribute the popcorn on the water surface. The birds(and potlickers) will come a-running.

You sneak away and go back to your original fish and fish 'unassisted'; for a little while, at least.

Now you know! :thumbsup: C2

·
Registered
375 Posts
Crackers are easier to keep on the boat and work a bit better than popcorn. If you roll up on me and hear "cracker ass fantastic" announced, you just fell for it. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts