Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would think yours would be doing pretty good. With ours I climbed all through the attic checking the HVAC install and noticed they did not run a duct for the attic. With everything I read and people I talked to it has to have fresh air moving up top. I informed my builder and he had them come back out and add it, Not sure who the oversight was on. Another thing I found was two ducts supplying air to interior rooms damaged with the armor flex tore. Boutwell’s did my system and I was less than impressed with their work. I would never recommend them.

·
Registered
736 Posts
So before I get ahold of the builder, is there anyone else with spray foam that has vents in the attic space?
Yes. Our house is new and we just had the attic foam insulated but there is a single vent in the attic. Haven't really crawled in the attic yet to compare the temp.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Might be, we are building and doing non vented and completely sealed attic. No vents of any type at all, I’ve done a good bit of reading and it’s the way to go. Makes no sense to have the air ducts that carries the coldest air in the house running thru a vented attic which has the hottest air in the house.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ok, same here, minus the ac feed. With my small redneck vent its 86-87 in the attic, 75 in the house, AC has been running since i heard it click on at 3:00p:thumbdown:

·
Land-Locked
1,119 Posts
Doubt it... living space is 1970, I see a 14 seer tag and that's about it on the inside unit
Tonnage would be on the outside unit, on the data plaque, and usually buried in the model number. If you get the entire model number, someone can figure it out.

I'm not sure how the a/c'd attic would need to be factored into the tonnage required.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Outside unit has a model number with a 30 right in the middle of it, more searching says 2.5ton, and more searching says that's about a ton shy:thumbdown:

·
Land-Locked
1,119 Posts
Outside unit has a model number with a 30 right in the middle of it, more searching says 2.5ton, and more searching says that's about a ton shy:thumbdown:
Yea, that's definitely way too small. 2000sqft should be 3.5-4ish. Plus whatever you would need to add for the attic (if any?).

Ours is similarly sized house, with a 3.5ton, and it's just sufficient, though our insulation is crap.

3 ton should be fine.
Divide the 30 by 12 = 2.5 ton.

You ideally want 450-600sqft per ton. So lowend sicf would need, 3.25 tons, highend, 4.25 tons.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts