Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our house was foamed by a local company, walls and roof deck, open cell. When the guy was bidding/selling, he said the attic space should be no more than 5 degrees warmer or cooler, depending on the season, than the conditioned living space. So far, that ain't the slightest bit true. Did we get salesman'd or could there be more to the equation? On the warmer days we've had so far I'd say the bonus room (unconditioned but in the same thermal envelope) is 10-15 degrees warmer, it's basically open to the attic space.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
I couldn't be happier with the closed cell in my barn, so far.

When it is closed up and you walk in it is like walking under a big shade tree.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Yep same as mine . I have an unconditioned bonus room like you spray foam open cell and it’s about the same temp diff you mentioned. We ended up drywall and finish and put a small mini split. It’s a great play room for Asher and his buddies

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why did you choose open cell vs closed cell?
Foam installer said closed cell.would be a waste. Mentioned the whole roof leak thing with closed cell and something going on longer than necessary. The foam company was probably the biggest, most reputable in the area so I had no reason to question him.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
2x6 walls, wanted to do some sound deadening interior walls, some tight spots to spray so like josh, expert recommend open cell. Very pleased with end result

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
I think open cell is fine if you are covering it with sheetrock or whatever.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I don't have spray foam but I heard you should put and ac vent on one end of your attic and a transfer vent through your ceiling on the other end of your house.

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you foam don’t vent your attic, don’t put a return air in your attic. Drop a couple of supply vents off the trunk. If you had blown insulation before, your ac if probably a bit oversized now. Dumping some air in the attic will keep the temps more in line with the house and make your system run better.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so you have to run ac vents into your attic? I did not know this. How are the temps in the main living space, can you tell a difference from traditional attic space, vented and with traditional insulation?
You asking me about the temps? If so, they're fine. well, rooms farthest away from unit feel a little warmer then rooms nearer the unit but I'm hoping that's a matter of fiddling with the vents in the rooms. When I left this morning it was 73 in the house, with the ac off it'll take till 4 o'clock for it to get to 76, so the insulation is working, I just dont like the temp difference going up stairs to bonus room/attic

·
Registered
110 Posts
We had our attic sprayed but kept rolled batts in the walls. I have 1-8” duct off the main trunk supplying heat/cool to the attic. Ours seems to stay within 10 degrees of living area. I called a company before we done ours and ended up knowing the guy from high school and he told me a lot of companies will tell you 5 degree difference, but reality if you can keep it within 20 degree difference you are doing good. Inside temps hold good, one bedroom on south side feels a fuzz warmer but I figure the sun beating on it most of the day is probably contributing to that.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, something ain't right. It wasn't even "hot" yesterday but the dang ac ran for over an hour moving the temp from 76 all the way down to 75... I rednecked a couple small vents in the attic just to see if it helps. Otherwise, a call to the builder, insulation guys, or the ac guys is in order.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts