Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in July I took my kids on a charter. We had a really good day catching red snapper, amberines and kingfish. Different times when we were moving from one spot to another we saw lots of flying fish. Cool to see for the kids, but should the captain have trolled through those areas? After reading some posts, I'm thinking we got short-changed by not taking a pass at what might have been. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
short changed for what? sounds like to me yall had a good day.
i don't understand.

jack

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I hope my clients dont feel short changed if I dont stop in every random spot and troll when we see flyers!!

All jokes aside, unless said flyers were on some epic rip in some pretty water and/or you guys had the time or the desire to troll, your Capt did not short change you. Flyers can be seen in extremely random places and that doesnt always mean fish. Not to mention, even "good trolling" is kind of boring for the average client in my experience and is more something for the dedicated angler as it can go from nothing to epic real quick but mostly a whole lotta nothing!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope my clients dont feel short changed if I dont stop in every random spot and troll when we see flyers!!

All jokes aside, unless said flyers were on some epic rip in some pretty water and/or you guys had the time or the desire to troll, your Capt did not short change you. Flyers can be seen in extremely random places and that doesnt always mean fish. Not to mention, even "good trolling" is kind of boring for the average client in my experience and is more something for the dedicated angler as it can go from nothing to epic real quick but mostly a whole lotta nothing!
Okay - thanks for the feedback. You don't learn if you don't ask. Reading some of the posts mentioning flying fish I was starting to wonder if we missed a chance to catch mahi or other pelagic.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Flyers are little more than signs of life,definitely not a sure sign of pelagic predators that may or may not be feeding. Trolling burns time oftentimes with no results. If you have the desire to catch a bucket list fish or something of that nature discuss it with the captain before you leave the dock. Captains generally want their charters to catch as much as possible in the time allotted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts