Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a piece of wrapping cord from a last year's package. Notice the irridescence. It looks a lot like EP Fiber.

Here is how to use it in a fly. I tied the fly body with Estaz then tied in the wrapping material as shown below.

In this step, I teased the fibers out from the cord using a moustache comb.

The fly was finished by folding the fibers back, wrapping a head and cementing then forming the fish head with regular old Silicone sealant. I poled the eyes down into the Silicone and allowed it to dry. Next step will be trimming the tail to be more minnow like.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Very nicely done! I'm considering to start tying my own flies, seems like they keep getting more expensive every couple months or so. Thanks for the demo!

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used one today.

I tied some on #4 hooks so I could match the hatch when lots of small minnows were around or when conditions made a smaller fly the best choice.

Today, the wind was howling so I went up the Withlacoochee River to try to escape the wind. I started with a big fly then switch to the #4 to make casting a little easier. Good idea!

I caught LM Bass, Bluegills, Mangrove Snapper, Snook and a 3' gator, all on the same fly. Nothing at all to write home about but still fun on a day I should have stayed in bed. I think I am gonna fish up river more often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts