Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to get into Fly fishing! I built my rod(Sevier sw 9' 7wt), purchased my reel(Okuma SLV 7/8wt.) and just realized the fly line was more of a hassle than the rest of the project. I do not want to break the bank on the line or backing but would appreciate any input for a good starter line.
Thanks,
Porter

·
Registered
105 Posts
Devil Dog,

Sounds like a nice rod that you built, that is awesome.

I personally like the RIO brand stuff but everyone has their preference. That being said Cabelas has a a good beginners line that is called, Cabela's Prestige Plus Saltwater Fly Line, this is on their website for 39.99. It received a lot of good reviews and supposedly can compete with the RIO and Scientific Angler brands.

I have never cast a Sevier blank so I'm not exactly sure about the action of your rod however, if you fell that it is a fast or very fast action blank you might want to upline your rod. Again, this is preference because some people feel that you need a line one weight heavier that your rod in order for it to load properly.

Good luck and if you have any questions just let me know.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I think I have some orvis silver label for a 7 wt if you want it. My recommendation is cortland laser line intermediate but that is for the type if fishing I do. Your choice will depend on what you want to fish for and where. Regardless, If you want something to start with, you are welcome to it.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Basspro got me set up for about $15. that was the backing and the tipit. I did not know I was going or I would have brought your reel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts