Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Fly fishing the Keys

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  bigspoon17 
#1 ·
My brother and I are trying to plan a trip to the Keys next year for a week to do nothing but fly fish. He wants to chase tarpon, and I'd like to chase bones/and or permit (I'd be happy with any of the above, though). Right now we're tossing around the idea of going down around May-Jun, but we haven't come up with a solid plan as to where in the Keys we should go. We've thought about Islamorada or Key Largo. For those of you that have been anywhere in the Keys, where would you recommend from a fishing perspective? We aren't very concerned about night life or anything like that, just the fishing.

Thanks!

#13 ·
Unfortunately I don't know the waters to recommend anything. A couple years ago I drug my Hewes down first week in June only to have the first tropical of the year form over the keys the next day and RUIN it for us. I had about two hours of sunlight before the clouds and wind and saw one bone on the south side while wading. Then it was done, torrential rains polluted the water bad. But we did rent a house with a dock and kept the boat there while catching mostly a buzz on beers. Of course I heard the week after it was epic, %$#@&*!

#16 ·
Alright...trip is booked for the second week in June! Will be in Islamorada. We will fish the first day with guide Andy Putetti, just so we aren't totally lost all week.

Obviously, we'll be spending some down time at the Lorelei; any other places we should check out when we're not fishing??

Anyone been to Florida Keys Outfitters? I was planning to bring all of my tying stuff with me, but grab a bunch of flies there when we get down there and have a chance to talk to someone who knows what patterns are producing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.