Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be visiting the area on vacation next week and hope to do some fly fishing - maybe even some catching!

I won't have a boat so all of my endeavors will be on foot. For this time of year, would you recommend sound side or surf side? Doing some research in the forum and online, I've gathered that tan/white and chartreuse/white clousers are pretty good as well as crab imitation flies. I'll also bring along a few top water flies (poppers and walkers) to try out. Anything else I should consider bringing along for flies? I'll be fishing an 8 wt and will have floating and sinking tip lines with a variety of leaders and tippets.

What species should be expected this time of year? Any other suggestions or tips?

Thanks!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Gulfside is fun at daybreak for ladyfish and a spanish or two as long as the June grass is gone. Trout and redfish are in the sound grassflats on the other side, but you might need to find access on the Hwy 98 side for the best flats. I pretty much rely on small clousers for everything saltwater these days. Have a great time, the weather looks good for next week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, First Cast. Any public access points you would recommend on the Hwy 98 side? I would be fine with walking a ways if needed.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I don’t know of any good public access spots, but you should drive over to Broxson Outdoors and talk to them about it. They’re a good local tackle shop and should be able to get you going. 8155 Navarre Pkwy, 32566.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts