Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had the best of luck with fluorocarbon leaders, its not that they don't work well. It just seems what I have tried has been brittle or won't hold a knot. What brand are you using, why did you chose that one?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yeah, there are definitely a few brands that are really brittle, especially with stuff under 20lb. I almost always use Seaguar and never have any problems with it. Also, it's more important to wet your knots before tightening them down when using fluro.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I fish Gamma 50# andheavier for larger fish.

Ande 16# -12# for inshore.

Just my personal preference.Never had them break.

·
Super Moderator
12,805 Posts
i use seagaur for anything under 40#, and gamma for 50+... i stay away from yo-zuri though:boo

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
seaguar here.. Never had any problems exept once a surf rig twists up in current, throw it out. You can untangle it, but it will go right back.

·
Registered
516 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Knot selection and skill tying matters here fluorocarbon by nature is stiffer and behaves like a heavier mono would. The only knot I use with fluro is the uni knot because it?s the easiest to "seat" correctly!

·
Banned
1,953 Posts
The blood knot is a much better knot than the albright, easier to tie , less bulky, may be used up to 50% differernce in diameter, and its a 100% knot. The albright is a 50 % knot i only use when attaching large leader to a small line, or steel straight to mono. Ive been tying a 10 or 12 lb leader to my 8lb with a blood knot for 20 years never had 1...not 1 blood knot fail!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Folks, thanks for the response, I usually tie a palomar or a blood knot.What Ihave notbeendoing is the lubrication part. I been tying a few leaders this morning I can tell the difference in how better seated the knots are.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Believe it or not I have had good luck with the Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon. I usethe 30# and 40#for all my leaders in the Gulf unless I am going after a big AJ/Grouper. I've never had a knot fail with it and the best part is its about $22 for 350 yards.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Believe it or not I have had good luck with the Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon. I usethe 30# and 40#for all my leaders in the Gulf unless I am going after a big AJ/Grouper. I've never had a knot fail with it and the best part is its about $22 for 350 yards.
that's what we use...both sustains recently spooled with vanish...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts