·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the lights on e-bay

New LED Underwater Spot Light 10W 12V 900-1000LM White Light for Aquarium Pool

Battery also on e-bay

Sell one like this
UPG 12V 35AH Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) Battery for UB12350 Invacare PRONTO M50 M6 M

Havn't put it in the water yet, just finished it this afternoon. I made two frames, one for each side. 4 lights should draw around 3.5 amps. 35 amp/hour batter theroreticaly lasts 10 hours. I will try to post a few more pictures to give you ideas to help build your own.

Greg

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not put it in the water yet, but I am pretty confident. The leds put out a lot of light and since they will be underwater they will work much better than if they had to shine down through the water. This will also eliminate glare so contrast will be better. Guess I won't really know for sure until the water clears up a little and I get a chance to try it out. I do have a led light I use for wading. These lights seem brighter and there are four of them.

Greg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Lookin forward to the report on these lights.. The wife wont let me spend any more money on the boat til we move this month, so my set-up won't be ready for a while. Good Idea on the mount too..

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took the yak and flounder lights out tonight for a test run. Put in a Floridatown. Steady wind out of the southwest made for a pretty good chop and the water was as muddy as I have seen it, even in deeper water. The good news is the lights worked just fine. The bad news is I don't think you could have seen the bottom with the best flounder lights out there. Jury is still out on how well this rig works until I can go in better conditions.

Greg

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you get the chance to take a picture of this setup at night, I'd like to see it. how is the light spread? do you get full coverage between your two lights. Again, really nice set up. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got to take the Malibu Stealth 14 out to try out the flounder lights. I put in at Floridatown, but the water was still very murky. I poled around anyway and when I hit some clearer spots I could see the bottom. The lights the way I have them are not as bright as I had hoped. The front lights need to be turned more away from the kayak (too much light wasted underneath). I have decided to go ahead and order two more lights so that I will have three on a side. I will post some pics when I finish the modes.

Greg

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for advice. I added two lights and modified the angle on the front lights and that made it much better, but I know it could be tweeked even more. The problem is that if I make any more changes I will have to pretty much build a whole new frame. I am trying to figure out a way to make the angle of the lights adjustable but still make it pretty easy to build and to copy. I would like to have a little more light forward to better see on the approach, but I think six lights are about the limit for the size battery I am using. Would be interested in seeing a diagram of how you would lay it out.

Greg

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.