Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
eating tasty
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kid was watching Wild Keats, and they were talking about Florida panthers. Kinda made me curious- have any of y’all ever actually seen one, or are they even in this area or just confined to the Everglades?

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,776 Posts
Not positive there's any up this way, but most sightings are most likely a jaguarundi and not the Fl panther. I've seen several (a momma jaguarundi and 3 young'uns) out on garcon point area at bottom creek crossing, been years ago tho. Used to hear them at night (maybe during mating season), and they sound somewhat that of a child screaming/dying. Eerie sound.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Saw a big brown cat crossing Dorcas highway during 84-85 hunting season around 7:00 am
Body was about 6’ and the tail was about the same length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
eating tasty
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Saw a big brown cat crossing Dorcas highway during 84-85 hunting season around 7:00 am
Body was about 6’ and the tail was about the same length.

I believe it. Found a map that shows their historical range (green) vs current (red.) easy to believe one could have been in that isolated area 30 odd years ago, maybe even an outlier or two now. I’m sure they are elusive.

Ps I had to look up Dorcas. Use to take the train to Chattahoochee all the time, passed by deerland and mossy head. Was close and never knew it.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Not positive there's any up this way, but most sightings are most likely a jaguarundi and not the Fl panther. I've seen several (a momma jaguarundi and 3 young'uns) out on garcon point area at bottom creek crossing, been years ago tho. Used to hear them at night (maybe during mating season), and they sound somewhat that of a child screaming/dying. Eerie sound.
Never heard of a jaguarundi till I read this post. Looked it up. Interesting.

·
Registered
183 Posts
We lived for awhile backed up the the State Park in Orange Beach. My wife and daughter saw one strolling through the parking lot towards the park 10 years or so ago. According to them it was long and short, very dark, tail as long as the body, and very small ears.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Hmm. Well. At least we ain't the only ones to see a large cat out there. Coming back from fishing around noon. We had launched at Nichols. It crossed the road about 20-30 yards in front of us. Plan as day that it was a large cat. Beautiful tannish/brownish coat. Probably weighted around 75-85 lbs would be our guess. Tail as long as the body. Of course talking to a few folks and they said it was just a bobcat. I can tell you it woulda ate the bobcat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Shoot, post this in the hunting section. I think half the people who hunt BW have seen one or two.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Hmmm. Well a few weeks I thought I saw a panther crossing Lewis rd. It moved like a cat, was fairly large with a bushy tail. Talked to some of the locals who seen some through the years but of course no game pics or 100 percent solid evidence....

·
Registered
910 Posts
Neither panthers or jaguarundi have bushy tails, don't know what that was. I've heard tales of panthers here and there in the panhandle but with all the trail cameras out there today, there's no way one wouldn't get his picture taken. I saw tracks of one over in the St. Marks NWR forty years ago but that's as close as I've come.

·
Super Moderator
28,145 Posts
I figured someone would post this
deer-management-mountain-lion-kills-buck-02.JPG

This pic has been floating around for at least years...It's been a trail camera pic from every corner of the states... I would be confident its a TX pic though.

As fer around here, yes they are around...mot sure why they have never been on any trail cameras. WEAR did a skit on em years ago where a Miltonite had one raiding a chicken coop and it all seemed legit. When I was younger, I spent weekends at a buddys place on springhill on the creek and saw tracks on sandbars all the time and could hear em screaming at night... Hunted the same property and saw a small (prob 4 ft long) come out on a plot one night. Wasn't a bob cat because the tail was as long or longer then the body!

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
For years, we called jarguarundi " black panthers". Fish and Game kept denying there were any wild cats in NW Florida except bobcats.
Meanwhile, state biologists were studying families of them here.

I also saw some in Va, both in Dismal Swamp and on Ft Story.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I grew up in berrydale about 2 miles north of the crossroads. When I was 13, me and a buddy was out shinning one night and seen one. Really big black cat with a long tail. I'm not talking about a 40lb animal, with out the tail it was a good 5' long. That's the only time I've seen one and I've got a witness.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
About 8 years ago we saw a large brown panther like cat off Robinson Point Road near Shields Point. A few months later we saw a similar cat crossing the Blackwater Trail. Haven't seen one since. I would be interesting to see some game camera photos/videos.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Not to derail this thread, but I recently saw a Ringtail Cat crossing Ward Basin Road just north of of the I-10 exit. I saw saw it CLEARLY, no mistaking what it was with it bounding gait and ringtail as long or longer than it's body. Only problem, they are not supposed to be around here! Anybody ever seen one round here???

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think a lot of sightings underestimate the actual size of the big cats. This is a real picture of a guy holding a road killed mountain lion. And the Florida panthers can be just as big. If you want to see a couple big cats go to the state park/zoo at Homosassa springs. They have 2 that will make you say "wow" that's big.

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
The one I saw back in the 80s was about that size and as it loped across the highway it took up most of one lane. We had deer dogs trailing and they quit when they got to where the cat had been feeding on a dead doe, they had to walk in and get the dogs off doe. The cat crossed the road within minutes of when the pack of dogs quit barking.

·
Apex
1,354 Posts
There are probably panthers but you will never see one and definitely don’t have to worry with them bothering you in the woods. Cats are smarter then people give them credit for and are not going to stalk what they know to be human aka imminent danger.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts