Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this has turned into a huge debate so I wanted to see if I could get some help from you guys. Someone is saying that the Florida Panther does not exist north of South Florida, plus this is backed up by biologist and the FWC. A friend of mine says he saw prints last week. I have seen tons of coyote tracks and I have seen what looks to be large rounded panther tracks (large as my hand) on Point Washington, Elgin and Aucilla WMAs. I was personally hunting during the first few days of general gun this season on Eglin off of hwy 87 near grassy point. I heard something walking in the swamp and a panther jumped out 30 yds from my stand. I had my scope on it because I heard it coming. This was not a coyote and it wasn't a bobcat. If it had been either of those two I would have pulled the trigger. I have seen bobcats on my trail cameras all over the panhandle but this thing was BIG. Big head, long body and I was scared to death walking back to my truck at dark because he had gone in that direction. I say we have panthers. What do you guys say? Have any pics?

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,549 Posts
100,000's of deer cams in the woods and not a single picture. All these people see tracks yet no one ever post a picture of them. Not saying it isn't possible but the evidence isn't there. If they were as prevalent as people say there would be more factual evidence.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
There are several subspecies of panther/puma/cougar/etc (whichever you call them) and its very likely the different forms crossover into another's regions. I have no doubt that they exist throughout the southeast. Now whether or not it was the "Florida" panther is uncertain

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Not the droid youre lookin for)

Grassflatsfisher said:
100,000's of deer cams in the woods and not a single picture. All these people see tracks yet no one ever post a picture of them. Not saying it isn't possible but the evidence isn't there. If they were as prevalent as people say there would be more factual evidence.
Exactly.
They'll have to really build up their numbers before they spread and are seen in abundance. You would think we'd have some trailcam pics by now.
On another note....seems the ufo's and bigfoots have become rather reclusive since EVERYONE has a camera now.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
How many deer pictures aren't in front of bait, not many. How exactly do you bait a panther? I don't think anyone is saying that they're everywhere, just saying that they're here.

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,549 Posts
How many deer pictures aren't in front of bait, not many. How exactly do you bait a panther? I don't think anyone is saying that they're everywhere, just saying that they're here.
I got over 15,000 pictures of deer this year in AL. Not a single one was over a drop of corn. Wouldn't a panther be looking for deer and coons at bait sites anyways? Like I said, the may exist but there aren't near as many as people say.

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
These cats were here before they were ever endangered and likely never went 'extinct' in the area. With the recent increase in the number of wild pigs there is an increase in the food source for panthers. Panthers are reclusive animals. Females tend to be very secretive. Males have a very large area that they cover. My brother-in-law saw one recently in north Escambia county. They are not just prevalent in south Florida but they are thick in the Big Bend area of Florida. Steinhatchee and Cedar Key area. That is not really THAT far away. The Yellow River drainage and the area of that drainage inside of Eglin AFB is huge. Now, I would love to have some trail camera photos but I have met several guys whose life work is to get trail camera photos of wild Tigers and these are hard to come by even when you are seeing lots of pug marks and actual human/cat confrontations. Taking trail cam photos is not as simple as it seems...good comment about bait. I talked to Dan Moultrie and he told me that he had a 1,800 acre deer enclosure south of Birmingham that had 200, internet connected, trail cameras inside. He decided to kill everything inside the enclosure and start a new program. Half the bucks that ended up getting killed, he had never seen on these trail cameras. If you miss half the bucks on more than one camera per 100 acres, imagine how easy it would be for these reclusive cats to circumvent areas that humans travel.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
They are here. My dad got stalked by one in south bama. He saw it chasing a turkey the same day. My friend heard two communicating in the pace area. Almost everyone I hunt with have seen them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I moved here from Ga several years ago. I read the GON(Georgia Outdoor News) article. My son actually saw one but I misunderstood what he said on the walkie, and told him not to shoot it. Georgia does not even list them as a game animal so if the Ga department of natural resources pursues a case it usually gets thrown out. I don't know if what we had in Ga were Florida panthers we knew them as black panthers. There also was a guy in south Ga years ago that shot a Western Mountain Lion, turned out it was a left over from some joint study done by Ga & Fl DNR. They let several go that were tagged around the state lines, to study how far and fast they would range out. After the time was up they caught the tagged ones, but they said the one the guy shot was one of the offspring. This was also in the GON.

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
I agree, never one dead on road, never a good photo and if I found that good of a print, why not mark it and bring in a biologist to ID it?

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Big foot doesnt exist either butt there are many shows about them. Trust me, If there's this much talk about them, they do exist. Just not in your mind. I've heard too many supposed sightings of a big Black cat that makes female screams in the night . I know they are real. They are just camera shy.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Anyone else hear the story about a man getting attacked by a black panther in north alabama? I heard about it a while ago, interesting read.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Anyone else hear the story about a man getting attacked by a black panther in north alabama? I heard about it a while ago, interesting read.
panthers up here and into AL, absolutely. but tan/brownish color. black panthers, i've been told my many folks smarter than me there's no such animal. had a long talk with an fwc officer who recently moved back to the panhandle after being in the glades for several years and dealing with plenty of them. he also confirms they are amongst us in these parts.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
panthers up here and into AL, absolutely. but tan/brownish color. black panthers, i've been told my many folks smarter than me there's no such animal. had a long talk with an fwc officer who recently moved back to the panhandle after being in the glades for several years and dealing with plenty of them. he also confirms they are amongst us in these parts.
They Exist!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
240 Posts
When I was about 16 ('93) my friends parents took us to the Florida vs Auburn game and we saw one dead on the side of 85...just like everyone says, you know exactly what it is when you see it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts