Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Florida Lifejacket Law for kids?

18K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  hogdogs 
#1 ·
I thought that I had read earlier in the year that the age was 13 and younger on a <26ft boat had to wear life jackets while underway.

I was just at the FWC's webpage and it says:
http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Rules_Boat.htm
</p>
<LI>A child under the age of 6 must wear a USCG-approved Type I, II or III personal flotation device while onboard a vessel under 26 feet in length while the vessel is under way. "Under way" is defined as anytime except when the vessel is anchored, moored, made fast to the shore or aground.

Am I losing my mind --- did they lower the age limit?</LI>

#8 ·
Carefully check for the proper flotation device details for the child under 6 regs; as I had my grand-daughter (5 years old) onboard about a year ago, with "Child" flotation devices within reach of her.......but found out the hard way that the "Child" life preserver I had was not the correct type for my grand-daughter (size / age / weight.....can't remember exactly what they quoted was the problem). OUCH - The fine FWF gave me was like $78 or $87. Put a bit of a damper on that day's boat outting / "pleasure trip".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.