Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I read an article in the latest edition of Florida Sportsman magazine about the flounder fishery and there is an effort by some in the state to petition FWC to ban gigging, both recreational and commercial.
I agree that some changes need to be made in the size and bag limit for both, but the commercial limit is currently "Unlimited" and I did not know that either or never looked into it.
Please help protect this long standing Gulf Coast tradition by providing your comments to FWC at the link below and then select flounder.

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
I hope They will never completly ban the take. I have been complaining about to much being taken. I have also proposed complete closure for 3 years in the months of Nov, Dec and January. This would allow the fall spawn to occur. And yes I have been as responsible as anyone for the decline.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It is unfortunate that we need legal limits to regulate things like this for locals. It would kill me to know a resource is being wasted by way of greed or ignorance. If we all just take what we need to use then this would not be a huge issue. It sickens me to see commercial fish being tossed out in stores because it wasn't purchased, just so a yankee store can say they offer Gulf Red Snapper. What a waste.

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
Commercial fishing puts fish available to everyone. The commercial industries are regulated almost perfectly. And when flounder become regulated a little more they will also be available to everyone again in a few years.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Commercial fishing puts fish available to everyone. The commercial industries are regulated almost perfectly. And when flounder become regulated a little more they will also be available to everyone again in a few years.
Put more sustainable fish on the commercial market. Mahi, for example. Not everyone needs to be 'entitled' to have every kind of fish there is. I don't want to render locals unable to catch walleye in Maine so I can go buy some walleye here. Allowing commercial boats to deplete the resource so that people who actually live here can't enjoy the resource seems wrong to me.

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
Surf, Every species is and always will be available for recreational and Commercial. I have been through the haydays of the 50s decline of the snapper of the 70s. Now look at the Snapper, with sensable regulations. Commercial and Recreational. Get the facts.

·
Praedator
9,980 Posts
Surf, Every species is and always will be available for recreational and Commercial. I have been through the haydays of the 50s decline of the snapper of the 70s. Now look at the Snapper, with sensable regulations. Commercial and Recreational. Get the facts.
Tell that to the land "species" not allowed to be commercially harvested! Farm raised, yes. Commercially harvested wild, NOPE! Any animal species on the planet open to commercial enterprise can and will be wiped out if not stopped in time!

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
When I was giging we self regulated.......A 12in fish is legal, but we wouldn't take any or tried not to.....if a newbe was on the boat the'd get excited and stab it............ Anything under 14in. There just isn't enough meat on a 12 or 13in to justify the harvest.

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
When I was giging we self regulated.......A 12in fish is legal, but we wouldn't take any or tried not to.....if a newbe was on the boat the'd get excited and stab it............ Anything under 14in. There just isn't enough meat on a 12 or 13in to justify the harvest.
Yes, I am self regulating myself also by not going hopefully they will put some restrictions during the spawn in the fall. Gonna try again now that the spawn is over get a few for the freezer.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Use shrimp for example. When I was a child there were at least 10 shrimp boats out in the bay every morning. I have heard there is still a few but I cant remember the last one I have seen in the bay. Was that over fished by rec fishermen?

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
Use shrimp for example. When I was a child there were at least 10 shrimp boats out in the bay every morning. I have heard there is still a few but I cant remember the last one I have seen in the bay. Was that over fished by rec fishermen?
No shrimp isn't overfished and Never will be.
Shrimp only live about 8 months. They go and spawn then go out into bay when they get to size to have spawned the season is opened. Catche all you can because all the shrimp left will die. Next season that last spawned shrimp will spawn and enter the bay. An endless totaly controled and regulated cycle. Plenty of shrimp year around.
The Shrimp Nymthe. Lives 5 houses from me. Always have fresh shrimp on Carondelay Dr.
Usually has the last evenings catch by Noon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How the #'s are way down. I have seen a ton of people catching barely limit in size the last 5-10 years while prior to 08 people were hammering 20+ in the 16-18+ range with quite a few doormats which you RARELY see anymore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also wish they would go with an 18" flounder limit on size and maybe consider allowing 2 undersize fish 14" or above. That would solve much right there. I personally think we need to aquaculture flounder, Specs, shrimp, and baby blue crabs and release them into Mobile, Perdido, and Pensacola over the reef areas to get the #'s up. That or stop fishing them because the #'s are down HARD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts