Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you experienced this??? (Effective 10/01/11 any boater born on or after 01/01/88 must complete the boater safety course or equivalent exam) Logan turned 16 last month and I told him that he had to take the boaters course to operate a vessel with a 10 HP or more motor.... He got on line and brought his computer down. We have been sitting here about an hour and a half and we are almost half through....Some of the stuff on here is CRAZY.....I am glad they had a couple questions about courtesy at the boat ramp! Not enough common sense stuff though!!!:001_huh: I answered a few questions wrong:shifty::shifty::shifty: They even had a section on how to go into and outta locks at a dam? I am not up on this at all and don't really know if Florida has anything like this??? I have seen em on bass fishing shows but don't remember which waterways they were....

I'm sooooo glad I don't have to take it!!!!:yes::notworthy::yes:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Jason ...several water bodies have locks and dams....the closest being Apalachicola River at Sneads /Chattahoochee has one as does several reservoirs in central ,south Florida. Logan will enjoy the course.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I had to do it for Bama...You can use two computers to do it,take the test on one and look at the answers on the other one.If its boatUS (something like that) the test isn't timed.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
My son took the Safety Boater Course at 16 as well now 20. He completed it on his own so, I didn't see the test. But to answer your question, I'm only familiar with passing through the locks along the Ms River in La. Done it many times and there's not much to it. Lock master will open gate upon your arrival, sometimes you must radio and awake the sleeping dock master on vhf haha!, enter and tie off to the bulk head the furthest forward to the other side of the lock system to allow additional traffic to follow. Gate will close behind you and the lock master will open the gate in front of you. Exit once gate has been fully opened.

Not sure if this is "FL TEXT BOOK" but maybe you can tell me if I passed the test. lol

Jimmy

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Have any of you experienced this??? (Effective 10/01/11 any boater born on or after 01/01/88 must complete the boater safety course or equivalent exam) Logan turned 16 last month and I told him that he had to take the boaters course to operate a vessel with a 10 HP or more motor.... He got on line and brought his computer down. We have been sitting here about an hour and a half and we are almost half through....Some of the stuff on here is CRAZY.....I am glad they had a couple questions about courtesy at the boat ramp! Not enough common sense stuff though!!!:001_huh: I answered a few questions wrong:shifty::shifty::shifty: They even had a section on how to go into and outta locks at a dam? I am not up on this at all and don't really know if Florida has anything like this??? I have seen em on bass fishing shows but don't remember which waterways they were....

I'm sooooo glad I don't have to take it!!!!:yes::notworthy::yes:
You have never gone through any locks?? You just dont know what your missing! LOL.

·
Super Moderator
28,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah he's doing the review 1st which was estimated to be about 3 hours with several quizzes.... Then he has to do the real test......

Well tickle me pink and call me Edna......I didn't know we had locks near by!!! I gotta get me another river boat this year cause he wants to take a Okeechobee trip!!! Not to mention he wants to venture to local places and my cat boat is a little wide to be using in the smaller local areas!!!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Yeah he's doing the review 1st which was estimated to be about 3 hours with several quizzes.... Then he has to do the real test......

Well tickle me pink and call me Edna......I didn't know we had locks near by!!! I gotta get me another river boat this year cause he wants to take a Okeechobee trip!!! Not to mention he wants to venture to local places and my cat boat is a little wide to be using in the smaller local areas!!!
Those are timed but the final one isn't. The "final" isn't half as hard as the reviews.It has enough common sense questions on it to let ya pass.:)

·
Super Moderator
28,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny part was they were explaining how to depart from a dock with the current pushing away from the dock. Question (generic) was how to safely do this. After unhooking the bow/stern it said to use a hook or paddle to shove off....hmmm if the current is pushing you away from the dock, why would you push off:001_huh::whistling:

Another question was how to safely pull up to a dock with the current pushing you away from the dock and it actually said to have someone jump off the boat and tie it up (a little more to it then that but actually have someone jump off the boat).....

He is learning a few things so I reckon it's a good thing!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
765 Posts
I took it 16 or so years ago out at Air Products. FWC taught it and it was required for me to operate a boat in AL at the time I think.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I had to take it a year or so ago to operate my boat. It sucker and I did it over a couple days. They should have a separate test for wave runners since that seemed to be a majority of the questions and a lot of the idiots on them need to learn the rules of the waterways.

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,433 Posts
I had to take a course way back in the day when I was 14 to operate a vessel. It's been on my drivers license ever since as vessel operator.

·
Super Moderator
28,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At 2300 last night he was zonking out, so I told him to log out and start it back today....he is on the last section which is 6!!!

·
Paid Member
682 Posts
Back in the mid to late 90's I launched a lot at the Rod n Reel. Les I believe his name was, told a friend and I if we would take the boaters safety course and show him the card he would drop our launch fee from $10.00 to $5.00. We couldn't take it fast enough.
My daughter also took and passed it last year and I thought some of the questions were alittle sketchy.

·
Registered
13,832 Posts
Not Florida, but here is the locks at Empire Louisiana that open to the Mississippi River. To provide a pictorial.

Now these are easy locks, I have been through many, one with a 65 foot drop, at Lake Pickwick on the Tenn Tom.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

·
Super Moderator
28,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those are cool pics tom!

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
The last time I went through Okechobee, I remember the locks seemed to be a lot higher than those in those photos. Might have been 12 feet above the deck. I was delivering a 50 foot boat and there were times that I had to spend the night, tied up outside, because they only operate during certain hours. Seems like I remember 2 locks on the St.Lucie Canal side...one at Port Mayaca and three on the Ft. Meyers side at Moore Haven, Franklin and Ortona.

Not a big deal. Just make sure of their schedule. The one that I got stuck behind, there was NOTHING around there. Communication and having long enough lines and tying up in the right location.

Also locks on the Alabama River at Camden and the Tenn./Tombigbee.

My niece took that course when she was 12, at the Milton Fire Dept.

·
Super Moderator
28,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK folks he just finished the test......Logan is 16 and maintains a 4.2 GPA and plays every sport in school so I figured he'd ace it no problems!!!! hahahah he made a 92!!! Good thing I didn't take it, then again when he took the hunters safety course I beat him at that 1 so I may have whooped him at this!!!! hahahaa

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
My son took the Safety Boater Course at 16 as well now 20. He completed it on his own so, I didn't see the test. But to answer your question, I'm only familiar with passing through the locks along the Ms River in La. Done it many times and there's not much to it. Lock master will open gate upon your arrival, sometimes you must radio and awake the sleeping dock master on vhf haha!, enter and tie off to the bulk head the furthest forward to the other side of the lock system to allow additional traffic to follow. Gate will close behind you and the lock master will open the gate in front of you. Exit once gate has been fully opened.

Not sure if this is "FL TEXT BOOK" but maybe you can tell me if I passed the test. lol

Jimmy
The times I went through the locks on the intercoastal they did not want us tying off. Told us to loop the lines around but hold onto them without securing. Was a little challenging to do when solo but not bad.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts