Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

florabama 2017 rodeo rule question.YFT

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  JMS 
#1 ·
I fished the florabama tournament with my 2 sons this past weekend. We caught 2 yellowfin on Friday, one was 30 lbs, the other was 39. The rules for the tournament said 50lbs minimum, so we didn't weight it in. No tuna were weighed on Friday. On Saturday afternoon I look at the live leader board to see if our snapper was worth weighing and I see that 3 Tuna were weighed in saturday all under 50lbs.- 49, 42, and 32. In other words we had the 3rd place fish. I thought it was a stupid rule for legally caught meat fish like a tuna, like anyone is going to release a legal yellowfin. I just assumed if it wasn't the minimum it would not go on the board. Is this normal? Any thoughts?

#3 ·
I agree.I know its no big deal and whatever the pay out is nothing much. My sons are 16 and 19 and it would have been fun for them. We still had a great time fishing but that was a little bitter. What makes it worse is we called lines in to run back to weigh in just when the bite was getting good and I pulled up the rules on my phone when we got in service and saw the 50lb minimum so we didn't go weigh in.

#5 ·
Did you ever get any answers from the Rodeo? Did they pay out for those?

#7 ·
I just talked to Angelo, the tournament director, and he told me "they talked about it" and made a decision on Saturday to let them weigh in fish under 50 and award the prizes since none had been weighed in over 50 and they didnt want to have to store the prizes for a year. He said he was sorry but there was nothing he could do. Didn't even offer to send a t-shirt. Total BS. I was just disappointed for my boys before the conversation. Now I am mad as hell.

#9 ·
That's some bullshit. Make the rules and stick with them. Should be any legal tuna, but whatever they want to do. Changing rules halfway through is crap. There is always something with this tournament.

Reactions: JMS
#10 ·
I just gotta a call from Cameron Price one of the co-owners of the florabama. He was sincere and genuinely concerned and agreed that this was a problem/BS. He got my address and was going to be sending the boys some hats and florabama stuff from the gift shop. Doesn't change what happened but helped my feelings.

#11 ·
Good on him for trying to make it right. Changing rules mid-tournament is a big no-no. Hopefully, they will learn from this.

#12 ·
Last year we specifically fished for beeliners because it showed to be a category in the junior tournament online. Well guess what, day of the tournament we went to weigh in a 3 pounder and no vermillion snapper category in the junior division. I called Angelo and was also served a platter of lip service. My wife was a hell of a lot madder than I was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.