Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Flesh eating bacteria!?!

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Brandon Martin 
#1 ·
So have been hearing a lot of people talking about this in the gulf. Trying to find out everyone's thoughts. Is it safe to be in or have contact with the water right now? Is our local economy in more trouble? Anyone got info on whats going on right now?

#2 ·
If you're sick, immune system deficient or have open wounds, stay out of the water, not just the gulf. Someone diagnosed with it last week after being in the miss river. If you're healthy, it's one of the last things I'd worry about.

#4 ·
Definitely dangerous but as I posted on another forum. With the amount of people in Destin on the 4th and only case is known. That guy had just finished chemo and was in his 70s. I would bet more people are seriously injured driving to Florida on vacation than from flesh eating bacteria.

#7 ·
I wade fish regularly, 2-3x/week, with small scratches, scrapes, etc. from yard work and to my knowledge do not have fibrio. I'm also 30, vaccinated, and active.

#9 ·
This stuff has been here way longer than us.... it just gets hyped up with news/social media these days... when I was in elementary school back in the mid 90s, a classmate's father was wading for mullet a few months after a liver transplant. His immune system was shot and he didn't stand a chance against Vibrio... died in a week.

Like has been said, with weakened immune system, stay out of the water.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.