Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Once upon a time, being younger and stupider, I jumped into the bay off of my parent's seawall. Having been out of town for a few years I had no idea dad had moved in some rocks to counter erosion. Cut the heck out of the bottom of my foot on oyster shells.

One look told me that some serious professional cleanup and stitches would be required and not wanting blood all over my truck I just stuck my foot in a plastic bag and taped it off. Drove to the ER right away. Doc told me that letting it bleed free was probably the smartest thing I'd done that day as it probably flushed out a good portion of the nasties.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Iodine works at 1 part per MILLION... No Virus, Fungus or Bacteria has built up a resistance yet.

You do not have to apply it 100%.. dilute it in a spray bottle..

I use 1-3 drops in my sleep apnea water..I also take 2 drops of Nascent Iodine orally daily.

There is a reason they use it in Operating Rooms.. Duh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was cleaning fish on July 28th. Got a little scrape on my ring finger on my left hand. Next morning finger and top of hand was swollen and hurting. By 9:00 am I started to get chills and the wife said we are going to urgent care. Dr said you will not get over this unless you are in hospital. Hospital diagnosed me with Vibrio Vulnificous ( google it) I was already in sepsis. One in 4 die if in sepsis. Long story short I spent 15 days in Cape Coral hospital including 3 surgeries on hand. I am back in Tennessee going to Craig advanced wound care center twice a week. I am attached to a wound vac 24 hrs a day. Wound vac is a vacuum pump attached to my hand by tubing. I have probably 4 to 5 weeks wound care left then physical therapy. I am 70 and take my boat to Florida 2 or 3 times a year to fish .I will continue to fish, but probably will wear some kind of gloves. Dr said I had better chance of being struck by lightning than ‘tis. I am number 2 diagnosed in Lee county this year, only one in 2019, and two each in 2017 and 2018. Be safe and clean and disinfect those cuts no matter how small.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
When I was a kid, I don't ever remember anyone getting this. In fact, if we had small infected cuts from just being kids, we'd go swimming in the bay or Gulf to heal the infections, to avoid granny and that dam merthiolate. Now if you have cuts, you avoid the bay and the Gulf.

Mullet fishing leaves lots of cuts, nicks and punctures. Wipe the slime off, pack it with neosporin, put a bandaid on it and make the net back up. An old mullet fisherman( no wise cracks from the peanut gallery) told me to put catfish slime on the cuts...I need a volunteer from the audience to try that before I try it.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,986 Posts
Iodine works at 1 part per MILLION... No Virus, Fungus or Bacteria has built up a resistance yet.

There is a reason they use it in Operating Rooms.. Duh.
I guess thats why people have limbs amputated and even die from flesh-eating bacteria,
was because the hospital was fresh out of iodine those days.
Or maybe the doctors haven't read your Cure-All Medical Book by Dr. Quack?
I think you should buy as many of those books as you possibly can, and disseminate them
to all the area hospitals, band-aid stations and free clinics so they can save everyone from everything.
Not saying iodine isn't good for some things, scraps and cuts, but it is not a Miracle Cure-All drug.

·
Registered
378 Posts
When I was a kid, I don't ever remember anyone getting this. In fact, if we had small infected cuts from just being kids, we'd go swimming in the bay or Gulf to heal the infections, ....
I could cure a sinus infection by doing a "deep water" barefoot start in the Sound.... it always filled my sinuses with saltwater and, bingo, the infection was cured..... sure was better than going to the ENT to have it irrigated... (PS: I skied with my ENT doc).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I guess thats why people have limbs amputated and even die from flesh-eating bacteria,
was because the hospital was fresh out of iodine those days.
Or maybe the doctors haven't read your Cure-All Medical Book by Dr. Quack?
I think you should buy as many of those books as you possibly can, and disseminate them
to all the area hospitals, band-aid stations and free clinics so they can save everyone from everything.
Not saying iodine isn't good for some things, scraps and cuts, but it is not a Miracle Cure-All drug.

It is better than nothing... or waiting around to get to a hospital.
If you are out on a boat or in the woods.. I'd sure as heck try spraying iodine on it..
What is your problem with Self Help?
You think the Medical System is the only answer?
Did I hit a sore spot that threatens your $ $ $ Pocket ?

They use Iodine on Horses Saddle Sores.. and other wounds..
Oh but it is not good enough for humans?

·
Registered
448 Posts
As a kid, we used Iodine, macuracomb, neosporine and camphophinique. Not sure on the spellings on those. If we got stung by a wasp, Mom would break a cigarette, wet it and put it on the sting to stop the pain or used bleach if we were near the house. Bleach worked the best. Doctor Mom was always awesome. She never stopped us from doing something stupid. She just put us back together after we learned our lesson. 😜

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
i have yet to find a girl that will pee on my jellyfish stings.
jack

Reactions: 69Viking

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
It is better than nothing... or waiting around to get to a hospital.
If you are out on a boat or in the woods.. I'd sure as heck try spraying iodine on it..
What is your problem with Self Help?
You think the Medical System is the only answer?
Did I hit a sore spot that threatens your $ $ $ Pocket ?

They use Iodine on Horses Saddle Sores.. and other wounds..
Oh but it is not good enough for humans?
Curious, but who do YOU know who puts iodine on saddle sores? We always used wound cream or bacitracin or neomycin .

As far as it stopping SARS-COV-2 , you should read the synopsis of the study method. Unless you intend on inhaling PVP-1, quite a bit of it...and 100% methanol...forget it. It is effective as a surface cleaner.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I keep a first aid kit on board with Neosporine. I don't have iodine in the kit but not a bad idea. I had something called provadine iodine that I used on my dog's skin for ring worm and it worked fine. Even after using an antiseptic if I noticed anything that didn't seem right, I would get medical attention and not risk it.

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
i have yet to find a girl that will pee on my jellyfish stings.
jack
If you get your money right, Splttine will come over with a wig on and fix you up.

Reactions: jack2

·
Registered
689 Posts
Providine-iodine is sold under several brand names Betadine being one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Curious, but who do YOU know who puts iodine on saddle sores? We always used wound cream or bacitracin or neomycin .

As far as it stopping SARS-COV-2 , you should read the synopsis of the study method. Unless you intend on inhaling PVP-1, quite a bit of it...and 100% methanol...forget it. It is effective as a surface cleaner.
I have been inhaling 1-3 drops of Iodine in my sleep apnea water since December. It does not take that much.. to coat the lungs.. thank you.

They sell Iodine for Horses at Farm Coops actually by the Quart and Gallon. A Horse Vet confirmed it for me.. You can use what every you like.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I keep a first aid kit on board with Neosporine. I don't have iodine in the kit but not a bad idea. I had something called provadine iodine that I used on my dog's skin for ring worm and it worked fine. Even after using an antiseptic if I noticed anything that didn't seem right, I would get medical attention and not risk it.
I don't have a problem using M.D.s.. but if I can self treat earlier.. I will. Especially around the water in the summer here. There are more cases than you are aware of. A friend in Chattanooga sent me an article about someone there who got it walking on the sand here.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,986 Posts
I have been inhaling 1-3 drops of Iodine in my sleep apnea water since December. It does not take that much.. to coat the lungs.. thank you.
I'm not from Missouri, but Show Me.
I need Proof it works other than just your word and dr quack's, that it kills the Covid19 virus inside the human body.
Have you thought about testing this theory of the cure-all iodine? I wonder why Dr. Quack hasn't tested it? I guess it's more profitable to sell the "belief" online!
Since you are such a believer and wanting others to follow in your steps. I mean since you have posted your dosing, so you do want others to believe and follow too, right!

After "coating" your lungs with iodine, have you went up to the any of the hospitals icu rooms, which are full of covid19 patients?
Did you walk into those rooms, without your mask on, greet the patients and take deep breaths of covid19 saturated air from each icu room?
Of course you haven't, and I completely understand and don't blame you for not doing it.
There is a fine line between being ignorant and being stupid, not much, but there is.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
The iodine doesn't coat your lungs, it just prevents growth of bacteria and mold in your CPAP water which helps keep it relatively sterile for the hours that it's in the reservoir. You can accomplish that with other things as well; I use a respiratory blend of essential oils in mine and always use distilled water; it keeps the mold and mildew at bay and also makes me a lot less congested so the CPAP can actually work.

As far as a wash, Iodine or betadine can kill germs but it also permanently stains materials like clothing, boat upholstery, etc. You can use betadine or iodine if you like, I prefer to keep a bottle of Hibiclens (or similar generic) on board my boat for washing wounds especially fish fin wounds.

This thread was started about flesh-eating bacteria, not Covid. Flesh eating bacteria is typically Vibrio vulnificus, a bacterium, not a virus. Anti-bacterial options are very different from anti-viral options. Not sure how Covid got into the discussion, but to be a little more accurate on that part:

In general and with few exceptions, the ICU's are not 'full of Covid patients' at least not in this area or in most areas outside the biggest urban centers. ICU's stay relatively full typically this time of year with summertime issues like head injuries, near drownings, heat stroke, etc, always been that way for as long as I can recall. There are some patients in the hospital with Covid, but what you don't hear about is that many of those 'covid patients' aren't there for covid, there are there for something else and they happen to test positive for Covid. That actually happens more than people seem to want to talk about, especially the so-called news media. Last I checked (there is a board at Sacred Heart listing the numbers for anyone to see) there were 3 ventilated patients with Covid there.

Anyway, vibrio (flesh eating bacteria) has been around forever. 'Back in the old days' people still got it, but there were a) fewer cases because there were actually just fewer people in and around the water, and b) the ones that happened you were less likely to hear about because unless it made the paper, the story didn't spread like things do now on social media.

Clean your cuts, seek attention when you get one that looks like it's getting infected. Always good advice.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
If you get your money right, Splttine will come over with a wig on and fix you up.
i forgot to tell you, joey, i threw up in my beer when i read that. hahhaha
jack

Reactions: 69Viking
21 - 40 of 49 Posts