Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wow! These stories sure scare me. I grew up here in Pensacola & have spent a lot if time in the Gulf for the past 50 years and never heard about things like this until a few years ago. I also spent a lot of time in Bayou Texar & Bayou Grande waterskiing and never got sick. I wonder what is going on. Has this bacteria always been in the water?

·
Registered
170 Posts
While in Memphis this past weekend my family was asking me about this subject. I told them it happens a few times a year in our area but probably safer than walking down Memphis streets. Friday 10 people shot in 16 hours !!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yeah, I have a friend who just had a brush with this. He owns a local watersports company and contracted the infection. He caught it early and they were able to prevent the spread and major damage.

I'm in the water all the time and I've never really considered contracting this until my buddy got it. Spearfishing, we are in the water for hours at a time...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,715 Posts
Yeah, I have a friend who just had a brush with this. He owns a local watersports company and contracted the infection. He caught it early and they were able to prevent the spread and major damage.

I'm in the water all the time and I've never really considered contracting this until my buddy got it. Spearfishing, we are in the water for hours at a time...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I think I know who you are talking about. He didn't even get in the water and still got it.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,868 Posts
News this morning said a lady just died/ Just 2 weeks after being in the water in/near St. Pete after she fell and cut (small) her leg on the beach, contracting the deadly flesh eating disease.
Dang stuff is nasty bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got Vibrio in my elbow when I slipped and got cut by a barnacle on the ramp at Shoreline park 4 years ago (July 4th actually!). I went straight to the GB hospital ER and when they were cleaning it out I mentioned to the nurse that I was worried about getting Vibrio. He said, "Everyone worries about that but no one ever gets it ...". I went straight onto antibiotics but that didn't even slow it down. Within 24 hours I had a fever and spreading infection. Went the ER in Bham the day after and I ended up spending 8 days in the hospital on the most powerful IV antibiotics. They said that if I had waited a few more hours I would have lost my arm and if I waited another day I would have probably died. I was 50 years old and in overall good health. Take this stuff seriously!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Wow! These stories sure scare me. I grew up here in Pensacola & have spent a lot if time in the Gulf for the past 50 years and never heard about things like this until a few years ago. I also spent a lot of time in Bayou Texar & Bayou Grande waterskiing and never got sick. I wonder what is going on. Has this bacteria always been in the water?
50 years ago you didn't have social media to spread every story at the speed of light. Vibrio has always been around. Some seasons it's worse than others, like any bacteria can be. But it's true, you need to take infected wounds seriously, especially around water.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just saw the news story about the man who owned a water sports business and he said he had not even got in the water the day it started. The Dr. on TV said it is being exacerbated by the warm water, bacteria love warm water. We've always had warm water. I gotta believe it is so much anti- bacteria/microbial soap , antibiotics in animal feeds , and other antibiotics reducing our immunity and causing bacteria to develop immunity. Whatever, it's gonna cause more people feeling unsafe in the ocean than Jaws ever did; present company included.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think the problem has grown because of the chemicals used in the oil spill. It was a bacteria eating solution.. But bacteria can build resistance to things.. I have hear it is growing in the tar balls on the beach.. even the small ones.

Elemental Iodine is good to kill infections in the skin.. It is poison, so do not take internally.. No fungus or bacteria has build a resistance to Iodine yet.

Hawthorne Products has the strongest I can find.. 17%... but a controlled substance.. So you can only order it online for your "Horse". Used for horses hove and saddle sores. If it is good enough for the thick skin of a horse, ti is good enough for yours.

Might be a good idea to have it in a spray container on the boat.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Back in the early 50’s Moma allways took us to the beach (Gulf side ) when we had a cold or sinus infection. Made us put our heads under water worked every time. Also if we had a cut or scrapes she said to wash it in the water also. Things have changed now.....

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Now fishing in the bays, if I have a cut, I put vasoline on the cut, then a bandaid...then Hundred Mile/ Hour tape over the bandaid to keep it on.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I think the problem has grown because of the chemicals used in the oil spill. It was a bacteria eating solution.. But bacteria can build resistance to things.. I have hear it is growing in the tar balls on the beach.. even the small ones.

Elemental Iodine is good to kill infections in the skin.. It is poison, so do not take internally.. No fungus or bacteria has build a resistance to Iodine yet.

Hawthorne Products has the strongest I can find.. 17%... but a controlled substance.. So you can only order it online for your "Horse". Used for horses hove and saddle sores. If it is good enough for the thick skin of a horse, ti is good enough for yours.

Might be a good idea to have it in a spray container on the boat.
That's not exactly how bacterial resistance works, but everyone has their pet theories I guess.

Iodine stains permanently so if you choose to use it I don't recommend doing it in your boat. I just keep a bottle of Hibiclens solution in the boat if I want to disenfect a wound, it's easily available and doesn't stain like iodine or betadine.

This whole flesh-eating bacteria thing has been dramatized and sensastionalized like most 'news' tends to do these days. It's always been around, as have sensational 'news' stories and moronic opinions, but now it's just that both travel at the speed of light through the internet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts