Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
It is nasty, but a lot of us fish, wade, throw cast nets and whatever else several times a week with cuts and wounds and never have a problem. I wonder what the difference is?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
It is nasty, but a lot of us fish, wade, throw cast nets and whatever else several times a week with cuts and wounds and never have a problem. I wonder what the difference is?
The difference is that your immune system works a little differently than everyone else's immune system.

Furthermore, your own immune system changes as you age.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,850 Posts
Article never said what dates they were visiting but earlier in the month, the water at the beach was pretty dirty.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That stuff does not discriminate, but a weaker immune system seems to play a role in it.
https://wtvr.com/2018/07/15/man-gets-flesh-eating-bacteria-from-crabbing/

And not only contained in saltwater environments.
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/georgia-student-fighting-life-flesh-eating-infection/story?id=16311568

Article never said what dates they were visiting but earlier in the month, the water at the beach was pretty dirty.
That didn't, but another stated it occurred June 9

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
This stuff was on my mind while I was wade fishing few days ago, had my brother in law out there with me thinking this would be my luck to get him out here him being from Illinois and he get cut and this crazy stuff would happen to him. Sure is bad stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
686 Posts
Lost my brother in law 2 years ago to it. The first hospital didn’t run the blood tests that would of caught it and given him a fighting chance
He caught it in freshwater in south Florida

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Kids today don’t have a chance. Their immune systems never develop well because they spend all their time indoors and bathing in anti-bacterial soaps. I was exposed to virtually every type of bacteria and fungus known as a kid because I played in creeks, bays, bayou’s and the gulf even when I had open cuts or stitches (often from wrecking on a bicycle or motorcycle) to this day I get sick less than my students do just because of my upbringing. As a society we’re allowing this crap to propagate.

·
Super Moderator
28,295 Posts
Kids today don’t have a chance. Their immune systems never develop well because they spend all their time indoors and bathing in anti-bacterial soaps. I was exposed to virtually every type of bacteria and fungus known as a kid because I played in creeks, bays, bayou’s and the gulf even when I had open cuts or stitches (often from wrecking on a bicycle or motorcycle) to this day I get sick less than my students do just because of my upbringing. As a society we’re allowing this crap to propagate.

Yepper..... When I grew up I stayed in the woods, creeks and drainage ditches!!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yepper..... When I grew up I stayed in the woods, creeks and drainage ditches!!!

Just as quick as all the chores were done we hit woods, river or local swimming hole
Thanks to the Hooks family for all the great summers at Hooks Pond on Old River Rd.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Titty babies fare better too.

Mother's milk provide an early leg up for our antibodies. Of course, being male I have no experience with nursing so I can't say if it is painful or not but I can imagine it is sometimes inconvenient. The act shows lots of love, and provides great bonding, in addition to making a healthier human.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts