Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am new to fishing the area and am looking for where to fish from a small (18') boat near Gulf Breeze. People keep talking about "the flats", but I'm not sure where they mean. There are lots of grassy areas near shore, but the ones I've tried seem to be infested with 3" croakers, so I'm not sure that is what people mean. ANY useful advice would be appreciated... including where to get more useful advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the bait and tackle shop has them, I use live shrimp. They seem to be out pretty often, so an alternative would be cool.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Where exactly is this infested croaker flat???? Ill investigate if there's any big fish there for you:whistling: :laughing:

Click on my screen name and read my past reports.... tons of tips and advise.... probably too much. My tip to you : Dont use shrimp on the flats, you'll end up catching more bait with bait then you would targeted fish.... as you already witnessed

Flats = shallow water areas / body of water usually surrounded by grass, sand bars, oysters and docks. :yes:

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I highly recommend hiring a guide like the one that just posted above to show you the ropes, I wasted about 2 years of my time in the area trying to figure it out on my own. Then wifey got me a guided trip. I learned more that trip then the whole 2 years i was there trying to do it on my own. Once I learned what to do i caught way more fish and enjoyed myself more!

Like they said in the other posts try one of the croaker as bait. I always have good luck with gulp shad and mirrodine lures.

Good luck!

Ps: I may be getting orders back to the area i'm stoked! I should know next week.

Keep us posted on the progress.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts