Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished crooked island today for flounder. Used bullminnows around oyster beds, old trees and grass. Lost a couple nice ones right at the boat. Also caught a couple subby triple tails and rad reds. Nice day to be on the water. Peaceful, no stress.
First cast was a nice flatty. Had three in the first hour then went a couple hours without a fish.
0717201414a.jpg

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,987 Posts
Dang, some more good ones. I gotta finish up some of these honey-dos and try them. Those are making my stomach growl.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Man, you whacked 'em! A good day for flounder fishing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mind if I ask, what’s the preferred rig you like to use? Carolina, dropper, gulp on a jig? Thanks so much. I’m just wishing I could find them stacked in Beaufort SC like that. 😊

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually straight tie 12 pound floro to 8 pound main line. Leader length around 8 to 12 inches. #1 or 2 hook. Split shot above leader. I like bull minnows for bait.
Structure like trees, oyster beds or piling in 1 to 12 foot deep.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Keep your eyes on Captain PJ, he's the man.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks so much for the response. I was working my way towards that type of presentation. I tied a rod that way this morning, removing the 20# and the Kahle hook, for just that sort of setup. I like the shorter leader though, with the split above my uni knot. I use 12 lb spider wire for line, and uni a leader to it. That way the split won’t slide.
im new to South Carolina, by way of Cape May NJ. My brother lives in Pensacola though, and we fished Perdido bay many times for specks and reds.
I used to fish Cape May NJ for flounder, but my process was all a trolling setup I modified after a couple years of practice. I got really good at it there. I trolled into the current with a trolling motor, .75 to 1.5 knots. 4 rods in Scotty rod holders, parallel with the water. I tied a 3’ leader with a 3/8 jig with a gulp on a dropper loop ahead of a bare kahle hook with a minnow. I also made trolling sinkers from 1/4 Oz to 1 Oz depending on current flow. You wanted to bump bottom, not drag it. I would kill em! Sometimes 75 fish in 2 hours of fishing creeks. I come down here, and I can’t get it going at all. They just aren’t stacked like cape May, and absolutely NO ONE fishes flounder here, so getting info on them is a shrug.
Cape May had an 18” minimum, so the fish you kept were usually over 20”, going as big as 27” in the back skinny water. Getting three keepers was tough, but the action for me was always great.
I need to change up my routine down here I can see that, and I thank you for the very helpful advice! Carry on..........I love seeing the pics! alex

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love the way they fish flatties up north. I watch John Skinner videos frequently. He employs a camera on the line while drifting for fluke.
I've tried the same here but all I get is sand perch and lizard fish.
Flounder seem to orient around structure or around some grass
Seems like they prefer places where water would carry bait to them.
The grass with a channel next to it is better than just big flats areas.
I think they also work areas between the grass and shore when the tide is falling. I haven't fished this area much but it seems to be the place a lot of giggers go.
In the fall the passes are great.
In the winter we catch tons of the bridge spans 5 miles outside our pass. Out there we use Carolina rigs with an ounce or two of weight. We also use 1 or 2 ounce spro jigs with a full mullet.
Winter time bull minnows are easy to find in the creek mouths. They bunch up there. I think the leaf litter on the bottom keeps them warm and safe.
Bull minnows are best because they are hardy and tend to hug the bottom. That is also the reason for the short leader. Keeps the bait closer to the bottom and easier for the flounder to see and catch.

Good luck to you a please share any little nuggets of knowledge with the rest of us.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Capt PJ, you have given me advise that would take me years on my own down here to understand. You are correct, the methods we use up north, catch squat down here. That’s why I’m struggling so much. It’s worked for me for years.........why isn’t it working? I ask guys down here and I get the same answer. “We don’t fish for flounder” So, I start to look at other possibilities. That’s why I asked.........what’s the rig? From there, I plan to crack open the safe! 😊 Thanks so much! You have given me a ton of info! alex

·
Registered
18 Posts
Spent this morning........rigging my rods a bit different. Shortened my leaders to about 12”. Dropped down to 15lb test Fluor from 20lb test. Put the split above the uni knot connecting the leader to the power pro, and went to a #1 hook from a 1/0 kahle.
I could hardly sleep last night thinking about the flounder you and catchemall Posted about. Thanks for the advice. 😊

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Alex it looks like your area would be working alive with flounder. I've caught Florida east coast flounder and it's basically the same as here but the fish there are quite a bit bigger on average. We caught a lot around inlets and especially jetties, rocks and pilings. Oyster bar edges within a few miles of inlets were dynamite, especially in late summer and early fall. Creek mouths and even holes up in marsh creeks can be good. Always fish the downstream side of structure, flounder will gang up there out of the main current to ambush bait. Finger mullet were easier to catch there and was our bait of choice. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Catchemall, That’s my plan! Thanks..........I just needed to change my approach. Like PJ said, in Jersey it’s different. Those methods down here either skunk me, or it’s trash fish all day. Sharks and whiting. Also, everyone down here prefers the bottom of the tide, but I think the top and outgoing is the best for the type of fishing I need to do. Tons of creeks draining out into larger creeks, and you’re right.....Finger mullet are everywhere here. Just throw the cast net and you have live bait. I’m anxious to go try a different approach now. Looking forward to a bit cooler, but I’m still going. It’s 94 here every day now, so morning or evening may be better. Week days are a must too. I’ve never seen so many people trailer boats as I do here. Ramps are plentiful, but some are a long wait in and out. Cooler water come sept should be really good. Surprisingly, the look I get when I mention flounder is like.....What? Why would anyone want to catch them? Absolutely no one here fishes for them. I love to fish flounder, and I love to stuff em with crab meat and eat them, or sauté and make flounder sandwich’s. My favorite. Thanks so much for the advice.........I just needed a little encouragement to change it up. alex

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
And that's the beauty of it, very few people really know how, so nobody targets 'em. Except you. Perfect scenario. I've got a feeling you're gonna be the low country flounder king.

Reactions: OHenry
1 - 16 of 16 Posts