Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the market for a new flashlight. I want a quality light that takes normal batteries (AAA, AA, C, D). I want it for blood trailing, all around outdoor use. I prefer something that has different brightness settings but not necessary. Will spend up to $100 but prefer around $50.
I’ve had all the fancy lights that take those goddamn communist batteries. I’ve spent hundreds of dollars on lights. I need a quality light for all purpose.
Thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
Go to Home Depot right now and buy a couple of the Defiant brand. I've had the really expensive lights and some with the pain in the ass batteries, but I bought everyone in our camp one of these and every single one of them are still working perfectly 3 years later. We've found the really bright LEDs washout a blood trail so you don't need 1000 Lumen. They make variable brightness lights that are easy to pack, durable, use regular batteries, and cost about $13 right now. IMHO, you can't go wrong with these lights. To hell with the specialty $100+ lights!

·
Praedator
10,435 Posts
I bought a three pack of flashlights from Sam's Club about 8 years ago. Small LED flash lights with three brightness levels. I bought myself and my brother in law some for Christmas that year.

To this day, all three of these flashlights and my brother in laws are still kicking and are the best dang flashlights I've ever owned! They are no name and I can't for the life of me figure out who made them or where Sam's Club got them from! That info is long gone!

But I lost one of the three last year and I was pissed! Runs off 3 AAA batteries and lasts forever and bright enough for anything I do in the woods or around the house or anything else for that matter.

EDIT: I found them:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/2pk-led-flashlight/prod6230025.ip

You would never think that these things would be worth a dang! But they have been the best hand held little flashlight I've owned. Not too tiny, not too big, just right! I can't find where to buy them though. If I could find these exact flashlights again, I'd buy a lot more!

·
Super Moderator
30,580 Posts
Only thing I have used the past 5-6 years is the NiteCore MH series. they are rechargeable and keep a strong charge. The one I currently use has the blue/red/green lights as well as different brightness settings. I know you said you want regular batteries, but why when the rechargeable are alot easier to deal with...

·
Praedator
10,435 Posts
Only thing I have used the past 5-6 years is the NiteCore MH series. they are rechargeable and keep a strong charge. The one I currently use has the blue/red/green lights as well as different brightness settings. I know you said you want regular batteries, but why when the rechargeable are alot easier to deal with...
Rechargeable is not easier to me. Even when you have one or two extra charged, I always end up forgetting to throw them on the charger. So much easier just to have extra AA or AAA on hand for when they go out! Change batteries and be done with it.

I've been out and forgot a "charged" battery plenty of times and been hosed and had to pull out the backup!:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
30,580 Posts
Rechargeable is not easier to me. Even when you have one or two extra charged, I always end up forgetting to throw them on the charger. So much easier just to have extra AA or AAA on hand for when they go out! Change batteries and be done with it.

I've been out and forgot a "charged" battery plenty of times and been hosed and had to pull out the backup!:thumbsup:
Old age Jon....you just forget alot!!!:D Heck when I was working midnights, I used the crap outta my light but only charged it once a week. It has a purty long runtime...

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've had pretty good luck with the coast lights and find they're pretty cheap but I'm gonna check out some of those other ones. One thing I know for sure is surefires are really really bright but don't last very long on those 123 batteries but great for short bursts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts