Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
When are you going and where? I've been there a bunch of times and like Jason said it can be tough....but only if you haven't really been there much. I've been going there since I was a kid and love yak fishing there. Your approach is completely different than it is here. Give me some specifics of your trip and I'll put you on some fish.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We are staying in Islamorada and will have 2 PAs and 2 Outbacks. We are mainly targeting Tarpon, but once we catch our trophy,we are game for anything. I would love to put some hogfish on the grill one night.

We are going August 17-21.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I think youre going to find, especially with the PA, youre limited to where you can launch to pretty much boat ramps. Its not like here...there are very few sandy areas to launch from and personally I wont drag plastic over rocks. Also there is a lot of shallow water but big current so get use to paddling your PA. This is what I meant by tough, just the hassle of moving big yaks around. Next time I go Im leaving the PA at home!

ChrisV hooked me up last year with some spots, even had a chance at some permit. He will do you right.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Sorry guys, I've had a lot of distractions with work and other stuff. I sometimes get involved in faaarrrrrrr too many things at once.

I tried getting with an acquaintance of mine who lived down in Islamorada for a bit but couldn't get in touch with him. I have fished the keys a good bit, but from Marathon and down. I don't have any spots in Islamorada but you can take take the yaks wherever you need to go of course. Are ya'll going to be willing to haul them to other launch sites?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah we have a trailer so we can haul them.. I really want to land a tarpon.. but any fish is good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
Just to throw an alternate into the mix- don't pass an opportunity to put out in the Florida Bay / Everglades area (we have launched out of the Flamingo Marina). We have hooked not only tarpon, but also snook, redfish, and trout. And there are always sharks and jacks around to fight too.
We are going next month, so save a few fish out there for us! Have fun!

·
Registered
67 Posts
We just got back from Tavernier/Islamorada area this past weekend. Didn't have a ton of luck fishing out of the kayaks down there, but we also weren't super serious about it either.

We basically just threw lures the whole time, never used live bait (which is the trick). We saw plenty of tarpon rolling around us, but we only got one to bite a lure and he broke my brother off on the first jump. We didn't see any snook (which we saw tons last year in the mangroves) or reds and only caught a few trout. You can catch all the small barracuda you could ever want on lures though. Nonetheless, the kayaks have become some of the most fun of anything we do out there. It's just beautiful and super cool to explore where not a lot of boats can go.

We had 3 PAs and 2 outbacks and I was pleasantly surprised that we were able to get in all but the very shallowest flats (anything less than 1.4' and you can't get a full kick out of the mirage drive; only flutter kicks). We didn't have any other issues with launching though because we stayed in a waterfront house and just threw a piece of carpet on the concrete seawall and slid them in/out that way.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts