Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious what others are using as far as rod/line setups for Kayak Fishing not only inshore but offshore for Macks. I personally love to fish lite tackle for reds and trout inshore (10#) on lite action rods and 2000 Penn but I set up a Med 7' inshore Penn Squadron and 3000 series with 200yd 15# braid, I know that seems pretty lite for Kings but we'll see!

Let me know what's in your Arsenal.

McPhil

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
I use 4# mono and ultralight rod and reel for trout and slot reds. I have yet to find one that I can beat with this tackle but it's dicey around structure. 15 lb. is not light for Kings from a movable platform, like a kayak.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
You'll be fine for 98% of the fish you're likely to run into out there with that setup. I did have a client hang into a monster sail that didn't do much dancing, just ran and ran and ran, took well over two hundred yards of line. I've also had sails go ape and never get more than 50 yards from the kayak...ymmv.

The problem is going to be if you hook a big blackfin and he starts bull dogging you. You will land it but don't expect a short fight!

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I fish 12-16lb mono for kings and rarely go heavier. 15lb braid, which breaks around 25lbs, is more than adequate.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I fish 15lb braid on a spinfisher v 4500. for kings, bull reds, slot reds, and trout just because its universal. For normal trout rod 8lb test on a spinfisher 3 series.

·
Super Moderator
27,947 Posts
10-12lb fer inshore.....my other "offshore" bigger rods have a 15-20lb and then about the same fer braid..... JD is the man when it comes to all the species from a yak so anything he recommends should be listened to!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
**Slowly puts 50lb Power Pro back into the tackle box**

Damn lol, yeah i went offshore once last year, and decided to buy 50 lb braid just in case... smh... all for some itty bitty smacks n remoras lol. Live n Learn!

·
Registered
165 Posts
In my opinion, lighter line can get you in trouble pending the situation. I've been abused by decent size red fish and trout in between docks and pilings. I switched to 30# braid last year and now horse the bigger fish away from the pilings. Some will say your bites will decrease with heavier line. I can't say it effects the bite at all, leader takes care of that. To me, light line is for a challenge. Both lines require proper drag settings . Even with braid you have to be careful not to over tighten the drag for certain fish. No stretch in the line can pull hooks easily from mouths of fish like trout or kings. I just like the insurance When I need it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts