Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My annual camping trip to the mountains got squashed this year sooooooooooo I asked Logan ifin he wanted to go on a fishing trip! We all know that answer.... Well..... I have a few options and don't know which way to go

Option 1 Go back down to Lake Ida fer exotics
Option 2 Lake Okeechobee
Option 3 Venice for some offshore tunas.

Everything I look at just confuses me (yes its that easy).... I had a place I wanted to go in Venice but its a 4 person minimum. Other places make you pick a day and fill out a bunch of crap then wait fer a call. Maybe I should call them instead??? Lake Okeechobee I was told had like cabins on the water and you could tie your boat up to the dock but Ole Rolland Martins website didn't show anything like that???? Gotta jump on it fast July will be here before you know it.... soooooooo those who have done said trips, any ins/outs (except for Lake Ida, I know everything I need to fer it).....

Lets hear it!

·
VIP of the PFF
9,170 Posts
All three options sound good ! I've never done a mid-summer tuna trip out of venice, so I don't know if it will be good or not. We went in the cooler months....but for all I know it could be equally awesome in July.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
All of the above sound fun. I would wait on Ida or Okeechobee for January or December.

Roland Martin's place in Clewiston is a fisherman's retreat, nice accommodations, restaurant, bar, etc... while still being semi rustic. Years ago at the above mentioned bar, I bellied up and ordered a beer as the sun was setting. The bar maid handed me a can of bug spray then my beer. When the sun eclipsed the horizon it was an all out war and could not get the spray on fast enough!!

·
Super Moderator
30,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahhhh we trout fish in NC in July so out west/north wouldn't be as good as the other choices.....

Definitely go to venice I have been 10 or so times and always have a great time
Did you use the same charter, or you take your own sled? Suggestions on charters would help...

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I know it wasn’t one of your choices, but I’ve seen enough posts of yours to know that Lake Martin would suit y’all well. Great bass fishing first thing in the morning. Big strippers by the dam. Catfish at night. It’s a fraction of the distance.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I have fished out of Venice a bunch. It’s definitely fun. It’s nothing like it used to be.
Drift boat fishing in Wyoming, Idaho, or New Mexico. Skip MT, it’s become to fashionable with the west coasters.
My wife and kids were evaluating similar options about the same time as you are looking at. We are likely going to go back to Vancouver Island for salmon and halibut.

·
Jaded Old Phart
7,152 Posts
I'd hire out a guide for Lake Ida cause you don't have the livewell to keep the shad alive.
You remember where the first spot is he took us to?

ETA Tarpon was on your bucket list, wasn't it?
Find local guide, gonna be just off the 2nd sandbar when they come thru.
If you need a body to fill out crew, I'm in.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts