Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a kayak post but this is were I normally frequent so I figured I would post here. I went to Mexico beach this weekend to visit a friend at his condo. I was able to do a little bit of fishing from shore at the canal since I heard it is a good spot for flounder. I wasn't having any luck when I met an older man who has been fishing that area for years. He asked me and my buddy what we were fishing for and we told him flounder. I was using a jig head with a white gulp. He said follow me to my truck and I'll show you how to catch flounder in the canal. He tied on a plain red eyed jig head with about a5 inch speckled green paddle tail grub. He shaved the bottom of the grub to make it swim better and dyed the tail orange. We walked down to the dock that parallels the canal and dropped the grub straight down to the bottom. He said you don't need to cast out, just walk the board walk and vertically jig it straight up and down, about 6 inches or so and keep atight line, when you feel the "thump" set the hook. So the next morning, I went to the boardwalk and gave it a try. Within 5 minutes I caught my first flounder. I couldn't believe it, he was spot on. I fished for about another hour and caught a total of 6 and a rat red. Amazing! Everyone fishing the dock was amazed and thought I was using live bait and dind't notice I wasn't casting out, just fishing straight down. A few others caught a couple flounder but weren't as fortunate as I was, especially in the short time I was there. What a great weekend and learning experience from a man who has been fishing before I was born.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts