Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I might be headed that way sometime soon and I was wondering if any one had fished that area. Here it is on Google Maps

Looks like grass flat / spec / redfish heaven. looks a lot like some of that famed lousiana fishing terrain from the air anyway. Bet I would need a really shallow boat

This website doesnt like long urls, try this one http://tinyurl.com/yftglsv

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
That looks like the perfect place to get around in a kayak! Never been there so can't offer much more than that, good luck!

·
Registered
854 Posts
I've fished St. Marks and North Tampa (but not that particular area) and there are lots of areas to kayak fish. It's different from LA but you get to add some snook to the mix.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ul412al (3/1/2010)I've fished St. Marks and North Tampa (but not that particular area) and there are lots of areas to kayak fish. It's different from LA but you get to add some snook to the mix.

and some gators? lol

·
Registered
811 Posts
Have been toSteinhatchee before, thats more south than southwest, but still really different....

shallow water goesway offshore, lots of grass, lots of bugs and few marinas / stores close by. I would think it would be ideal for a small boat or kayak, but take what you need with you, its definitely more remote than you might think once you get out on the water.

We saw lots of fish, turtles, etc over that way. Since its remote, cell coverage, on land even, is terrible; we saw multiple folks at the Steinhatchee Marinawhowere going up on their boat towers to try to get a cell or blackberry connection. That means Personal EPIRB or Sat Phone if you want to be safe, IMHO.

They have one fuel dock, a reasonable little cafe there for dinner, and tons of oyster bars all over the place. Also have FWC around so be sure and be legal as well as safe

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
The tides are crazy over there. So be careful not to run up on an oyster bar or run one over. Stay in the channel markers. As far as the fishing its like someone else said. Its really shallow along ways out. 25 miles you are in about 25 to 30 feet of water.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I'm born and raised in Perry, still have a house at Cedar Island, which is just north of Steinhatchee. It's where I learned how to fish when I was just barely old enough to hold a rod and reel. I only get back there to fish a few times a year but my brother fishes there a couple of times a month. The trout fishing is only topped by a few spots in Louisiana and the Redfishing isn't too bad either. It's hard not to find great grass flats to catch trout and this time of year use a Equalizer type rig with live Pinfish and you won't go wrong. For big Redfish it's a little better up near the Aucilla River but be careful up there, oyster bars everywhere. If you can find Pinhook River, which is just north of the Aucilla mouth there is a hole in there full of Redfish year round. The Scalloping is also the best in the world during the season. Get a Woods and Water and check the reports, good info there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts