Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit that it's been thin in reference to posts about fishing these past few months. In reading some of our current posts, I have to say that I'm pleased so see other people mention "perception" concerning pics, conservation and sustainable fisheries. I saw a post where Wes alluded to a species of fish possibly being over fished. That put me into cardiac arrest and now I'm consulting my attorney to see if I can sue him to cover the cost of a pace maker implant (it's a joke).

We're all aware of the controversy and outrage concerning fishing regulations for recreational anglers and the commercial sector. I had just a few things to do today and for something to do for the greater part of the day I googled about fishing around the world. I had thought that I would find similar conditions as ours pretty much the same around the world. I was surprised to find that we in America appear to be doing better than the rest of the world.

If you find yourself with a few hours to spare give it a shot and check it out for yourselves. The EU has a nightmare, The fish stocks in the Mediteranean Sea are in trouble, Much of the African coastal seas are in trouble, south East Asian waters are decimated, South American fish catches are down but the Australians seem to be doing ok. It's not just a local problem guys, it's world wide in scope.

We see a lot of rallying for the S E Atlantic fishery region these days and if you read about it, turns out that they shot themselves in the foot by not taking action when they should have in 2007. The finger pointing for that debacle will last for years but that won't fix the problem. For my little corner of the world, the Gulf of Mexico, I would like to see the Gulf Council to become what they are supposed to be by law. A responsible entity that manages and regulates our fisheries with accurate stock assessments, set maximum bag limits and season lengths to maintain sustainable fisheries, implement catch reporting systems for commercial, charter and recreational anglers.

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
One question. Did you drive over there to Mobile, and tell the Gulf Council this?

I was there 2 of the 4 days and was involved in two of the informal round table discussions with Roy Crabtree. I came away with a better understanding of why and how this all works. I also came away with an understanding of what I will be pushing for in the For Hire Industry.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The Somalian pirates have run off some of the factory ships that have been raping the coastal waters off Africa. Since they started that the fishery has made a remarkable comeback. There is a lesson to be taken from that. Instead of using drones to catch some guy trying to sneak a dinner back to shore we should be blowing these guys [factory ships] out of the water. We could warn them beforehand, unload the crew members and take the ships out. Problem solved.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
<DIV id=post_message_2570469>Saw this on another site>??</DIV>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</DIV></DIV>Hello everyone! Help is on the way! My name is David Walter and I'm running for Congress in the 1st District of Alabama. This is a quote from a press release I'm doing.
David Walter, owner of Walter Marine?s ?Reefmaker? and current candidate for U.S. Congress in Alabama?s Congressional District 1, criticized the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) for shortening the 2010 Red Snapper season based on inaccurate Red Snapper population data.

?There are more Red Snapper in the Gulf of Mexico than we?ve seen in 40 years, and perhaps more than ever seen historically. Not only have representatives of NMFS admitted their data collection methods are ?fatally flawed? but they continue to ignore the mandate by the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (MSA) to implement new data collection methods.

?How ridiculous is it that NMFS doesn?t even take into account the vibrant population of Snapper and other species living near thousands of oil rigs and thousands of artificial reefs in the Gulf of Mexico? Any fisherman will tell you that?s where Snapper live, so why not take those populations into account when they are supposedly surveying the Red Snapper population ?scientifically??? Mr. Walter stated.

David Walter, whose business, Reefmaker, is the largest manufacturer of artificial reefs for fishing environments in the coastal region is accusing the Federal agency of needlessly destroying a $450 million industry affecting hundreds of businesses and thousands of people employed either directly or indirectly by the recreational fishing industry. ?There is just no good reason in light of the evidence to shorten the Red Snapper season and damage an industry already jeopardized by over-regulation.?

?It?s not just fishermen who attest to the historically large Red Snapper population in the Gulf.? Mr. Walter said. ?A study by Dr. Robert Shipp, Dep?t of Marine Sciences University of South Alabama and Dr. Steven Bortone, Executive Director, Gulf of Mexico Fisheries Management Council provides scientific evidence that proves what fishermen already know. The Snapper are here, and there are more than ever. There is even evidence that the Red Snapper may be approaching over-population, threatening other species. NMFS continues to ignore coastal research and use unproven data collection methods for no apparent reason.?

Mr. Walter, does not claim to be a research scientist, but stated that Dr. Shipp and Dr. Bortone were among the most qualified in the world to make these claims. ?I urge NMFS to take a common-sense approach to this issue.? Mr. Walter stated that the actions and attitude by NMFS were just another reason the power of federal agencies should be reigned in. ?I would like to see the authority of fisheries returned to the states, and the federal government focusing more on responsibilities laid out in our Constitution.?

David Walter is running for U.S. Congress in Alabama?s First Congressional District as a candidate for the Constitution Party. His campaign website is www.WalterForCongress.com.

I could use your support by visiting my website and joining my facebook. If you can spare a few bucks, I could use it. I think the tide is turning and this will be our year. If elected my first priority will be to return the fishery management to the states and strip NMFS of their power by exposing them publicly. The Orange Beach Fishing Association has voted to support me and you will be hearing from my groups as well. Let me hear from you about your concerns and questions? </DIV>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts