Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am coming to visit okaloose island with my family on Sunday, leaving the following Thursday. I have been to Fort Morgan before, which is close to gulf shores, and had success fishing for pompano early may last year. We caught most of the pompano, precisely 4 in about two days using pompano rigs and sand fleas caught on the beach. My question is this. It appears that the weather is going to be interesting during our stay. Rain, thunderstorms, pretty much horrible weather. Should I change from using pompano rigs to something else? I would also like to try to catch a different type of fish as well and not sure what setup would be ideal to catch a variety, especially in this type of weather. (Preferably, I would like to catch fish I can eat lol). I will be surf fishing for the most part. I have two poles about 8 feet or so and the pipes that hold them up in the sand. I really appreciate whoever is taking time to read my rambling lol

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
you should be able to use the same setup and be sucessful just may need more weight to hold the rig In place try using fish bites and fresh dead shrimp along with sand fleas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Do you guys think that using the same pompano rigs with the pyramid weights with shrimp would work fine? or should I use a different setup?

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
D - ALL THE ABOVE

The beaches have had plenty of life on them for the past 2 weeks by my observation. Dont let a little rain stop yah. Some of the best fishing is done during a scorched sky.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I usually take one rod for Redfish and 2 for Pomps.

I use frozen/fresh cut Mullet for the Reds on a carolina rig and fresh dead shrimp or sandfleas on a hand tied circle hook rig for the Pomps. Seems like an outgoing high tide with a 1-3 ft surf is the best action.

I fished Navarre the other day and the grass was bad. Good luck to ya!

·
Registered
867 Posts
D - ALL THE ABOVE

The beaches have had plenty of life on them for the past 2 weeks by my observation. Dont let a little rain stop yah. Some of the best fishing is done during a scorched sky.
Ive caught some of my biggest Reds on rainy, nasty days with a Red Flag.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts