Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I joined the forum because I just moved to the area, and would like to get into fishing. Haven't done any since I was a kid and went with my dad, and we were never very successful at it (freshwater fishing in Texas/Kansas).

Now I'm a dad, and I'd like to get back into it with my son, especially living in a place like Pensacola, where the fishing is so good.

Problem is, it's pretty intimidating because I really have no idea where to start. Obviously I'll need a pole and a reel, but beyond that, I'm lost.

I browsed some of the forums here, but didn't see any stickies that stood out as a "fishing for dummies," sort of post. Does anyone have any good resources on where to start? I don't have a boat, but I'm active duty, so I can rent on base. But I'm open to fishing from shore/piers too. Whatever gets me pulling up fish quickest.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
Buy 1 rod and reel for each fisherman. A small, 10lb line combo. Not a giant rod and reel. Go to the 3 mile bridge and drop straight down with a 1/0 hook with a 1 or 2 oz weight 3' above it. Put a piece of 1/2" square chunk of cut mullet or a dead shrimp on the hook. Sit there and wait. That will get you fish.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Make friends with a guy at a local bait shop that can coach you as you progress. Find out when he works, and come in when he is not busy and can discuss fishing with you. Obviously buy your shrimp and tackle from him. While he is scooping shrimp for you or getting your tackle, tell what is working and not working for you.

You may have to look around to find the right guy who would take an interest in you, but once you find him, he can be your coach. The extra money that you would pay him for rods, reels, and tackle will be well worth it to get good on-going fishing advice.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Do not go and buy the latest and greatest rod/reel. Wait until you get a feel for what you really need. You can get buy with average gear for now and there is plenty of good used gear out there. Talk to ocean master.!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts