Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to saltwater fishing. I really enjoy fishing the bay and santa rosa sound. I have had a little bit of luck catching some trout and a few redfish. I use a popping cork with a live shrimp. My question is how do I keep pinfish and needle fish from stealing my shrimp? It seems I spend more time "feeding" them than I do being able to target the trout and reds.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,280 Posts
Where is this magical place without pinfish or needle fish?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Catch the pinfish and stick one of THEM under bobber!

Alex
That or use bigger live bait (i.e. whole croakers, mullet, etc). You won't get as many bites but it will be more substantial fish. Any cut bait is always suspect to small/bait fish. Shrimp is a great bait but that's just part of the territory of using them. You're going to have to deal with the small fish.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I like DOA's and Gulp 3" shrimp in either New Penny or Natural, they work!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I like DOA's and Gulp 3" shrimp in either New Penny or Natural, they work!
QFT - the new penny- chartreuse tail & pearl white are also good colors, also gold spoons (Gator's or Johnson Sprite's in gold & silver), top water Zaro Spooks, Popa dogs, chug bugs are also good for trouts and Reds. I always go out with the above plus I used to go with Paul Brown Chunky lures but I couldn't get them where I was, just found out that Mirrolure (now called Paul Brown Original) bought out the line and are reproducing them now, will be picking those up to see if they work like the original lures. If they do, definitely a gator trout slayer. Look into those as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts