Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure that this has been debated on here before, but being a newbie to the forum, I am open to the suggestions of the masses. I am 49, newly retired with end stage renal failure. I want to fish ever chance I get.

Ok, long story short, it's time to respool my reels. I usually just slap on some Stren or Ande. Upon my visit to the local tackle store, I see that the choices for line are many. There's red, blue, green and clear mono and then an assortment of braids. I fish inshore, piers and bridges, and in the surf.

So...what's best? What do you guys like?

I will sit back and listen.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
For MANY, MANY years I SWORE off braided line. I tried it once (Powerpro) in a Shimaon baitcaster on a 6'6" medium action rod. I had major problems w/ wind knots and backlashesand it was just generally a mess.

I went back to monofilament and used primarily Ande and Berkley Big Game - in the 10 - 12 # test range. (for Inshore, anyways!!). I always used a dark-green colored line.

Recently I got a Carrotstix rod and a 2500 series Shimano spinningreel. I had it spooled w/ 12# Ande backcountry line. The line would knot up all of the time. I contacted Carrotstix and they said that the rod was really designed for braided like.

Reluctantly, I went back to braided line. I chose the Invisibraid line in 10# test. I WILL NEVER FISH WITH ANYTHING ELSE AGAIN. I don't use a baitcaster anymore and all of my inshore reels are in the 2500 size. In my opinion, the braided line ona spinning rod/reel setup is the ONLY way to go. That stuff casts a MILE. There are no problems w/ wind knots. You can actually FEEL the fish picking up the bait, feel every little nook and cranny on the bottom. It is truely an awesome product.

I also use a 2' to 3' flourocarbon leader in a 12# to 15# test weight.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Help us out,whatyou fishing for, Bream to Marlin, wereyou are going to fish, Inshore or Offshore, and how you will fish,Trolling, Casting, or Deep dropping will help narrow your choices. There are some true experts on here that will give you sound advice so the more info you can provide the better their advice will be.

Of course, be advised that there are going to be more than one option on what is best. :poke

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
BBob (2/24/2010)Help us out,whatyou fishing for, Bream to Marlin, wereyou are going to fish, Inshore or Offshore, and how you will fish,Trolling, Casting, or Deep dropping will help narrow your choices. There are some true experts on here that will give you sound advice so the more info you can provide the better their advice will be.

Of course, be advised that there are going to be more than one option on what is best. :poke

UMMMM...I think that he DID tell us what type of fishing he does...

"...I fish inshore, piers and bridges, and in the surf."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I could have told you what reels I use....might have helped....I have 3 Penn spinning reels..I have used them since the '80's...the little decals have long since vanished....I think they were maybe 712z or 714z? I have always used 8-12lb test.

·
Registered
502 Posts
mydj_jeff (2/24/2010)I guess I could have told you what reels I use....might have helped....I have 3 Penn spinning reels..I have used them since the '80's...the little decals have long since vanished....I think they were maybe 712z or 714z? I have always used 8-12lb test.
60hertz has a pretty good suggestion I think...10lb braid and a 12lb fluoro leader would probably treat you right. and i hope you get the transplant.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
For inshore Ultracast Invisibraid and for offshore bottom fishing and jigging I use Jerry Brown solid and Tuf-Line XP. Had too many nightmares with PP, so I swore off the stuff and won't look back.

·
Super Moderator
12,520 Posts
Here's going to be your problem, the Z series penn reels (well,most all penn reels for that matter) don't distribute the line on to the spool worth a damn. It's very uneven, and seems to clump up more towards the middle rather than spreading the line even like a shimano does. This results in LOTS of wind knots with braided line, also, those reels mechanically aren't the toughest things in the world, so if you do decide to go with braid, stay under the 15lb range.

In my opinion, you would be best off with 10lb sufix mono,

·
Registered
749 Posts
60hertz (2/24/2010)
BBob (2/24/2010)Help us out,whatyou fishing for, Bream to Marlin, wereyou are going to fish, Inshore or Offshore, and how you will fish,Trolling, Casting, or Deep dropping will help narrow your choices. There are some true experts on here that will give you sound advice so the more info you can provide the better their advice will be.

UMMMM...I think that he DID tell us what type of fishing he does...

"...I fish inshore, piers and bridges, and in the surf."
Sorry Jeff, I guess my eyes missed it even thought it's there. :banghead

1 - 11 of 11 Posts