Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Offshore Yakin
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna be fishing some dock lights this week, if the rain says I can. My question is, what should the fiancé be throwing? I like casting a fly at them, but she'll be using spinning gear. They seem to normally be easily spooked with the fly rod, so some light weight Rapala looking lures or smaller DOAs possibly? Thanks in advanced! If the big reds are there, I'll likely pick up a spinning rod too. I fish a rather light fly combo.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The rain isn't the deciding factor for me - the wind is. This week isn't looking promising IMO.

Free-lining live shrimp is a sure thing... suspending twitchbaits work well... as do soft plastics.

Trout aren't too picky but stealth is key.. also, if they are spooking after the first hookup - try casting just outside of the light's shadow on the next dock - may spook less.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Free lining live shrimp like magic mike said. I usually have some luck with a top water (super spook or skitter walk) throwing past the light the working right threw and under it. Only down fall is they normally spook when one hits the lure.

·
Super Moderator
27,943 Posts
I've had awesome luck on 2.5 inch Badonkadonk suspend lures and vudoo shrimp! Others have great luck on matrix shad and MR17's... Good luck to ya'll!

·
Offshore Yakin
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I have til monday to catch a few. I've never used live shrimp before, how do you guys keep them in the kayak? I picked up a suspending yozuri the color of my fly that did so well in october. Wish weather conditions dictated my fishing but unfortunately work does lol so I fish when I can. If any one wants someone to go offshore fishing with this week, I'll be happy to tag along. I didn't have time to rig my depth finder before we left out, so no snapper fishing for me. Also the miss doesn't like to go offshore, but she likes the night time bay fishing surprisingly.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just put my bait bucket in a milk crate behind me and have a bubble box that I clip on the crate and drop the line in. Fished 8 hours this last Friday night and they stayed alive the whole time didn't even have to change the water.

·
Offshore Yakin
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went a little early last night, but the specks were on the lights pretty quick. The suspending yozuri made easy work of the fish. I never got out the fly rod, for the wind wasn't in my favor. Almost caught a huge catfish. Had it hit a pin fish I caught earlier, then swim all the way to the kayak trying to eat it. The miss wasn't accurate enough casting to catch the fish on her own, but she got to reel in a few. Forgot ice, so I used the bay as a cooler until I got ready to leave. Two quick cast, two keeper trout and called it a night. Hope it'll be even better tonight! I might try the live shrimp if she goes again, her kayak has less stuff in it lol.

·
Offshore Yakin
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, any tips on targeting the reds on the lights? Last October, you never knew if you were gonna get a trout or red. Last night, never saw a red.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Live shrimp with a light weight on the bottom is what I normally use. But have caught them free lining shrimp for specs also. That's normally what I catch all my inshore fish on and a lure or artificial everyonce in while by luck.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks guys! I have til monday to catch a few. I've never used live shrimp before, how do you guys keep them in the kayak?
I use one of the very small Igloo ice chests (holds 1 six-pack), and a battery operated bubbler.

Live shrimp on a small weight to help pull them down. Start by casting at the edge of the shadow to try t strip off 1 or 2 without spooking the others. Work your way toward the light until the action stops. Move away for a while and come back to it later if its an active dock.

Fresh dead shrimp will also catch reds. In fact, a broomstick, brick and everything else will catch a red.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I fish dock lights in Navarre quite often and I catch red and trout all the time off mirolures. Like everyone is saying free lining live shrimp always works but I like artificials the most. Just throw past the lights and bring is through. Twitch the lure a few times and let the fun begin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts