Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed to Seward Ak this summer and I'm looking to book a charter for halibut. We will be staying at the Army Resort there in Seward. My question is has anyone used the charter boats affiliated with the Army resort? If so I would like your opinion. Or should I look elsewhere. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks Devin

·
Registered
8 Posts
i fished out of Seward two years ago, used the charter from the Army Resort and was pleased with it overall.... Most charters charge a lot more for the same service....
If you really want to catch the big ones, i would say drive over to Homer and take a charter out from there... you can walk the docks and judge which boats as to there catches.. They all charge pretty much the same.... Trip of a lifetime !

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
If they still run the pay charters, the Army boats are a good deal. They used to have boats that were free, but I expect that is gone now. Depending on the time you go, AFishunt charters will be the best. They may not be running out of Seward for Halibut then. If that's the case, Nanilchik is only a couple of hours away, and you only have a short run offshore to the halibut. Best time for Seward is mid June to august so you can do combo trips and catch the silver salmon run.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have fished Seward few years ago. Get ready for the cold and long deep heavy drops. They are using 2 lb. weights. But was still a good times.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seward is ok, if you're into catching chickens.

I'd recommend going to Valdez. That's where the big ones are caught, but the boat ride is a little longer ususally. Go with Lady Luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the info. The forum always amazes me with your knowlege. I will be going in June, so now to do my homework and make reservations. My main concern was just not to get skunked. Would love to catch fish all day,but so long as I catch one halibut so I can check it off the done that list. Thanks again and if anyone else has any insight please feel free to advise this Ak rookie.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's weird I know.

I'm in the Army, going on 26 years now. I was stationed in Alaska in 2005, then I was reassigned in 2011 to Ft Bliss, Tx for almost a year. After Bliss I was stationed at Ft Rucker, Al. Way before that, I was stationed in Louisiana and fell in love with inshore/bay fishing. So, when I was sent to Ft Rucker I trolled around your forum to learn a little about the area.

I only stayed at Ft Rucker for a year, then the Army sent me back to Alaska because the unit (in Alaska) was tasked with a 9 month trip to Korea. I'm just now finishing up this trip. Then, I'll be back in Fairbanks for a few months. I left my family and household goods in Enterprise, because I'm coming back soon.

It's great to hear your stories, even if I can't get in on the action for now. I would offer up more help to anyone coming to the Far North, but my schedule is too unpredictable these days.

One thing is fer sure, you can trust my advice about Alaska. Seward is good for quick day trips, especially military and those with sight seeing planned into the trip, but the better halibuts come from Valdez. BTW it's pronounced Valdeeeeez by the locals.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Seward

I spent the summer in Alaska in an RV a few years ago. I fished Seward, Valdez, Homer, Haines, mouth of the Kenai, Kenai/Russian River mouth, Ninilchik, etc. I loved Seward as they have a huge city RV park right on their waterfront. Great town to visit. I looked at the Army area for future non-RV trips. I also saw the Army boat out fishing when I was on other boats. Lots of charter companies to chose from. These guys are one of the best, especially if you do a multiday; http://www.crackerjackcharters.com/
They won the Seward 2014 Halibut Derby with a 312 lb fish. They have won 3 of the last 4 Seward Halibut Derbies.

Quite frankly I didn't see much difference fishing any of these road based locations. The charters will fish for the "chickens" unless you get them to focus on larger fish. If you can convince the rest of the people on your charter to go big then they will. We did a "big" halibut trip one day. I got a huge hookup and had to be "belted" into a harness to make headway on the fish. Unfortunately everyone was disappointed when I got the 150 lb ray to the surface!! We drew a zero but filled everyone's chicken halibut limit on the way in.

Seward has the Sealife Center, the dog sleds, glacier tours, fishing from shore for silvers downtown, small brook chock full of salmon, lots of restaurants, etc.

You will love it!! You will wish you could stay longer.

The first photo is Homer, the second pic is Seward. The third pic is fishing from shore for silvers in Seward. Fourth pic is a limit of silvers caught in the same location. 5th pic is a nice ling caught on a jig. 6th is Capt Andy with a nice Yelloweye I caught. 7th is salmon sharks in Valdez.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yelloweye

Yes; the limit is one. We caught our limits of one and left the area. They were fairly deep so catch and release wasn't good. We did fish one area where we caught them on every drop so they aren't really endangered. We almost rode the ferry from Valdez over to Cordova.

Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keep it up guys ...I'm chompin at the bit to go now! Blue falcon its a small world sometimes...I work at Ft Rucker now. I was born and raised in Pace Florida....thats my connection to the fishing forum. It keeps me in touch with home kinda. My Son is stationed in Fairbacks and we're coming to visit. Thats why I wanted to know about Seward so we could do a little fishing. Bajabob great info ...Thanks everyone

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bajabob is dead on about finding a group that's after bigger halibut. I just prefer Valdez, because I live in Fbks and it's a quicker drive to Valdez. It's more of a fishing town to me. One year, I was on a boat and the Captain barely even slowed down so we could take pictures of Killer Whales all around us.

I also stay way away from Anchorage. You know what the locals say about Los Anchorage? It's only about an hour drive in any direction to get to Alaska from Anchorage!

Double check the halibut limit tho. A few years back an EO came out that limited each fisherman to one halibut, depending on the area. The coast was sectioned off in three areas, South West, South Central, and South East. In June the limit was one for the SW, the Central was limited to one in July, and SE was limited to one in August. I might have that backwards too. EOs are temporary and this one was back in 2007 or 2008.

BTW, all halibut are good eating, big ones and small ones. Hope you catch a real barn door!

·
Hobie PA14
229 Posts
I lived in Alaska and fished out of the Seward Army Rec several times. They used to do a lottery where you could fish for free but I believe they've stopped that. Overall, the fishing is acceptable, we all limited every time we went and caught sea bass and ling cod as well. As some of the others mentioned, if you have the time, I'd run over to Deep Creek or even on down to Homer if you want to go after the monsters. The Deep Creek/Ninilchik area has some excellent fishing and isn't as crowded as Homer. You'll love fishing, but one word of advice, book two trips just in case you get weathered out. Tight Lines!! GT

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts