Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a child. I was raised saltwater fishing with my dad and have just recently gotten the "bug" to fish again. Only thing is- I don't really know what I'm doing! Any suggestions on someone who might teach "How to Fish" without it costing an arm and leg? I have tried squid, dead shrimp, cut bait, live shrimp and even caught sand fleas, but all I seem to catch is pin fish, eels, catfish, and the creepy bristleworm (ft. pickens). Mainly fishing at Ft. Pickens! Please help this Fishing Damsel in Distress!

·
Registered
318 Posts
A good start is reading this forum. For the most part, there are some really good fishermen and women here. Try out some of the techniques and hang around the docks if you can. There is a lot of stories told there and most of teh deckhands are willing to give out a little advice. The last thing is to get on a charter for the type of fishing you want to do. You can learn a bunch from a good captain andalthough it is kinda pricey to go, the information you get will save you hours and money in the long run. You gotta know what type of fishing you want to do...Deep Sea, Bay, or Surfand then just practice....

Chris

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
One thing would be to go to some of the tackle shops and take your rod n reel in and see if yours is setup with the right tackle for the type of fishing you are doing. If not most of them will show you what you need and show you how to rig it. Another thing to do would be to go to some of the fishing piers and bridges and observe some of the techniques anglers are using. Also those pin fish you are catching are great baits. Next time you catch one take it off and re-hook it through the eyes and throw it back out. Hope this helps some. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Great advice form both Chris & Debbie, Read up on the forum plus stop by Any of the Local Shop's thats what we Are There for not just to sell Bait, Some of us are Better at Offshore,some Better at Inshore or Near shore,Thats Me Inshore and Near shore is my Game If You Live near or ever in the Navarre area Stop By Half Hitch and I'll help you out anyway I can!! BTW Welcome to the Mad House!!:toast

·
Registered
30 Posts
Come to Arkansas and I will show you how to catch our lower class(and better tasting) lowly bream and crappie and also the elusive and widely hunted White River Catfish, which is in all actuality is our channel catfish or fiddlers as we call them , they will play you a tune when you pull them in, dayum they be fittin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok, I am an Arkansan and a lot of these guys aren't gonna tell you what to do, they make money off of you, I may get banned for this, I know as much or more than most of these guys, Most importantly let me know where you will be and if you have any idea what you wanna catch, surely you know where you are gonna be, send me a PM and I will let you know the best thing to fish for and the area to fish in. Sorry guys, but some of ya'll do look more for the dollar than ya'lll do for the information that they ask for, but then if you came to Maddox Bay south of Holly Grove, Arkansas, and saw me, and asked me, I would tell you which tree top to fish in, I won't tell you how to fish that top tho.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Pretty harsh BAYRAT!!!

We already had an invite from a bait shop fella!
What most of need to hear is what type fish or fishing is planned... No sense sayin' "saltwater fishin' " and me explaining how I approach high speed trollin for wahoo to a person wanting to foot fish for reds and trout... The folks wanting to make money off of you are generally real fast to help as you generally won' have the right gear and they can sell it to you...
Brent

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Well Batrat or Batman Or what ever you want to call Your Self I said NOTHING ABOUT SELLing THIS PERSON ANYTHING!!!!I Said I would offer what I know About Fishing Around Here NOT ARKANSLAW and Btw Did I say I was a Pro Like YOU NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! And If They asked me How To Fish the The tree Top's For Freshwater I would!!!I work by the Hour J.ASS and By the way Nice Pitch for your so Called Exp here on the Coast!!!!! Take Your B.S Somewhere Else!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
bayrat (31/05/2010)Ok, I am an Arkansan and a lot of these guys aren't gonna tell you what to do, they make money off of you, I may get banned for this, I know as much or more than most of these guys, Most importantly let me know where you will be and if you have any idea what you wanna catch, surely you know where you are gonna be, send me a PM and I will let you know the best thing to fish for and the area to fish in. Sorry guys, but some of ya'll do look more for the dollar than ya'lll do for the information that they ask for, but then if you came to Maddox Bay south of Holly Grove, Arkansas, and saw me, and asked me, I would tell you which tree top to fish in, I won't tell you how to fish that top tho.
Dang

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Splittine (01/06/2010)
bayrat (31/05/2010)Ok, I am an Arkansan and a lot of these guys aren't gonna tell you what to do, they make money off of you, I may get banned for this, I know as much or more than most of these guys, Most importantly let me know where you will be and if you have any idea what you wanna catch, surely you know where you are gonna be, send me a PM and I will let you know the best thing to fish for and the area to fish in. Sorry guys, but some of ya'll do look more for the dollar than ya'lll do for the information that they ask for, but then if you came to Maddox Bay south of Holly Grove, Arkansas, and saw me, and asked me, I would tell you which tree top to fish in, I won't tell you how to fish that top tho.
Dang
OMG!!! Now you talk about somebody full of their self. Bayrat you are not the MAN. You are the IDIOT.

I've been on this forum for many of years and never called anyone a name but you just got the AWARD.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
The LaJess II (01/06/2010)
Splittine (01/06/2010)
Dang
OMG!!! Now you talk about somebody full of their self. Bayrat you are not the MAN. You are the IDIOT.

I've been on this forum for many of years and never called anyone a name but you just got the AWARD.
I'll second that. What a dumbass.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, would you look at this, tell the truth, hit a nerve, and get called names. Not only me but the great state of Arkansas gets trashed. No I am not an idiot, not a dumbass, I am not "the man" but I am a full growed man, and you wouldn't say this shit to my face, so keep it to yourself.

·
Registered
247 Posts
cweed729 (31/05/2010)As a child. I was raised saltwater fishing with my dad and have just recently gotten the "bug" to fish again. Only thing is- I don't really know what I'm doing! Any suggestions on someone who might teach "How to Fish" without it costing an arm and leg? I have tried squid, dead shrimp, cut bait, live shrimp and even caught sand fleas, but all I seem to catch is pin fish, eels, catfish, and the creepy bristleworm (ft. pickens). Mainly fishing at Ft. Pickens! Please help this Fishing Damsel in Distress!
I use a cajon thunder with a DOA shrimp on it andwork the bottom witha1/4 oz jig with a gulp newpenny shrimp on it and do pretty good at catching trout and flounder, of course I also catch a few cat fish. I am no expert but it beats working..

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Bayrat... or just RAT or even WORM,

I wouldn't mind sayin' anything to yer face but I don't go to the Clinton state...

I am betting there are a locker full of folks on this board who don't have to hide behind a keyboard and would love to speak their mind to your face!

But i am also quite sure many feel the same as me when I say, it is only your money we want in Fla. as folks like you give tourons a bad name no matter where they hale from!

Brent

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went to Ft. Pickens last Friday- tried dead shrimp on the bottom- nothing; changed to a cork with dead shrimp and caught two hard tails one right after the other. They were fun! I have done alot of internet surfing for making my own rigs and I think I do OK in that department. Weight on top, weight on bottom; j hook or circle hook, it's just confusing. I know their is afish out there with my name on it- I just hope I can catchit before the oil does!

Thanks to all who replied to my post, I do appreciate the help. The only thing I buy at the Bait and Tackle shops is "bait". I can't afford their prices when Walmart and Sports Authority are cheaper with a larger selection. I only buy what is recommended by other fisherman or someone I know.

It is about "just fishing" (however I would like to Catch, as well), what a great sport, a bit humbling at times but truly relaxing and peaceful. A great way to "get away".

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
bayrat (01/06/2010)Well, would you look at this, tell the truth, hit a nerve, and get called names. Not only me but the great state of Arkansas gets trashed. No I am not an idiot, not a dumbass, I am not "the man" but I am a full growed man, and you wouldn't say this shit to my face, so keep it to yourself.
I think that should be Full grown man. You Dumbass.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
cweed729 (04/06/2010)Went to Ft. Pickens last Friday- tried dead shrimp on the bottom- nothing; changed to a cork with dead shrimp and caught two hard tails one right after the other. They were fun! I have done alot of internet surfing for making my own rigs and I think I do OK in that department. Weight on top, weight on bottom; j hook or circle hook, it's just confusing. I know their is afish out there with my name on it- I just hope I can catchit before the oil does!

Thanks to all who replied to my post, I do appreciate the help. The only thing I buy at the Bait and Tackle shops is "bait". I can't afford their prices when Walmart and Sports Authority are cheaper with a larger selection. I only buy what is recommended by other fisherman or someone I know.

It is about "just fishing" (however I would like to Catch, as well), what a great sport, a bit humbling at times but truly relaxing and peaceful. A great way to "get away".
You will get your fish Cweed. Don't give up. If you are enjoying it already, the fishis just a bonus. Stay at it and good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's too funny- we were looking at cast nets this weekend, my daughter said she wants to try it! My brother caught a huge flounder at Ft. Pickens with his cast net. Can't tell what the fish is that you have pictured?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts